Dead hard drive question

Hello. I bought a G Speed Shuttle Thunderbolt 3 48TB hard drive.

I noticed a dreaded red light on the front and opened the G utility.

The message that was dated 4 days after I had starting using it is “Physical disk is marked as DEAD due to forced offline state.” I searched for that phrase and didn’t find anything here.

Is there simply something I need to do to bring it back online or do I need to replace the entire drive?

The logical disk has been set to critical as well, I’m guessing b/c the system is down one drive.

Any suggestions are helpful. Thanks.

The recommendation is to transfer any data off the device you need and then attempt a rebuild within the software utility on the Disk Array tab.

It is unlikely the drive is actually a crashed drive in the need of replacement. You can also call in for further assistance.

Thanks for the tip. When I click on the Disk Array, it has 0 byte capacity, media patrol is enabled, number of LD’s is 1 and then status is “degraded.”

When I click rebuild, the source physical drive is Array0, Seq No1: 10.91TB and it is the only choice in the drop down. The Target Physical Drive says “there is no PD of adequate capacity” and when I click on “confirm” again, I get an error type message in red saying “There is no data to submit.”

Am I missing a step?

Thanks.

Please call in to support for assistance in this situation. The drive will likely need to be placed back online via a Terminal command.

1 Like

I had the same problem. Drive suddenly listed as dead after I had removed the drive and then replaced it. I removed the drive from the carrier. We put it into a dock and found that the drive was in fact good. We erased the drive by wiping it 1 pass with zeros. (Make sure your software actually wipes the whole drive including the hidden partitions - we used Drive Genius on a Mac.) At that point I put the drive back into the carrier and it was accepted as new. We had to change the “pass through” option on the drive and then trigger a rebuild – which it did. Note that I’m using Raid 10 so it didn’t take too long. I suspect that my original mistake was to pull a drive while the Raid was mounted. Not a great idea! Hope this helps someone.