Date/First Aired, Mojo, ThumbGen

I have become quite good at creating my own movie sheets using Tinwarble’s Mojo and ThumbGen.  However I have  a query.  I recently made a movie sheet for a TV Program called Garrow’s Law series 1 episode 2.  I used “Manual” mode and put http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1540223/ into ‘Key Words’.  I have my own cover and background sheet and succesfully created the xml files etc for the movie sheet.  I then need to edit the xml sheet, I copy/paste original title into title, plot into overview and redo the date so it appears as is custom for us here in Australia.

When I view the movie sheet on my WDTV Live SMP in the top left hand corner it says First aired: N/A.  and for actor I see Alun Armstrong on the screen.  

Yet for every movie sheet I have manually created for The Unit (all 69 episodes) I see Date: 15/03/2009 and in Actor I see the actors’ names separated by /. 

I have used exactly the same process for both sets of movie sheets but I get differing results.  On very few I get First aired: N/A where 90+% of the time I get things showing perfectly.

Garrow’s Law has three series, each series has 4 episodes.  Series 3 (all episodes) shows the movie sheet information correctly with Date rather than First aired etc.!

I am guessing the problem is caused by the way the information has been first entered into IMDB.

Can anyone confirm this is what happens?

Tinwarble?  (Love your work mate!)

For the date you have to make sure that you are inputing as yyyy-MM-dd.  Then after you edit everything you have to make sure you click on the green check mark under the metadata before you generate. 

If you don’t click on the green check mark before you generate it will generate the xml with the data that was there before you edited it.

“For the date you have to make sure that you are inputing as yyyy-MM-dd.”

Thanks for getting back to me Tinwarble.  yyy-MM-dd is how I have set my options in ThumbGen.  But this shows the date in US style.  In Oz we have day, month Year.  So I need to put the date in ThumbGen as 2012-21-05 which I do by editing the xml sheet and this shows onscreen in the Movie Sheet as 21/05/2012 which is the way Australians do the date.

Tinwarble, I have everything preset.  When I use ThumbGen to generate movie sheets for Garrow’s Law Series 1 Episode 1 the finished Movie Sheet has “First Air Date: N/A”  on my TV screen.  I don’t change anything but when I do Garrow’s Law Series 3 Episode 01 with ThumbGen it shows “Date: 25/05/2012” on my TV Screen.

I get First Air Date: N/A for every episode in Garrow’s Law series 1 and series 2.  I get Date: (figures here) in every episode of Garrow’s Law Series 3.

Today I re did movie sheets for a series 1 episode of Garrow’s Law and got ‘First Air Date: N/A’.  I re did a movie sheet for a Garrow’s Law Series 3 episode and got ‘Date: (figures here, whatever the date was)’.

I have printed out the 2 relevant xml sheets and sat them side by side.  The info on each xml sheet looks the same format to me.  But when they go onto the TV screen, one has First Air Date: N/A, the other has Date:25/05/2012.

I had worked out to use the green tick.  I find it almost as easy to edit the xml sheet anyway.

Well, I can’t really tell you what is going on with out seeing the xml data myself.  If you’ll post the data from one that is working and one that is not I might be able to figure out what’s going on.

Well, I can’t really tell you what is going on with out seeing the xml data myself.  If you’ll post the data from one that is working and one that is not I might be able to figure out what’s going on.

Thanks Tinwarble.  xml sheets are below along with a shot of what I get onscreen.  On one shot S2E01  I get  First Aired: N/A and actor’s name and on the other S3E01 I get Date: 13/11/2011 (Aussie style for date) and all the actors’ names.

Since doing this I have edited S2E01 xml to get rid of the extra > in Overview.

Not Working Properly:   Garrow’s Law Series 2, Episode 1 xml  Screenshot here:

http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=e8ij0dlmdh8a8rj

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
  Garrow's Law S2E01   Garrow's Law S2E01   >Garrow is approached by the directors of the Liverpool Assurance insurance company to prosecute Captain Collingwood for insurance fraud. He threw overboard 133 African slaves whom he was transporting to Jamaica,allegedly to save supplies as he was off-course but the insurers claim this was caused by his poor seamanship. Then Garrow meets Gustavus Vassa,a freed slave who wants the charge altered to murder even though,in the law,slaves are classed as cargo and not persons. Garrow accepts Vassa's plaint and,backed by some surprising witnesses,makes the charge stick,though Collingwood is jailed and not hung.Lady Sarah has had a son,Samuel,but her jealous husband,Sir Arthur Hill,believes that Garrow is the father and turns her out of his house,planning to divorce her.   2011-14-11   Garrow is approached by the directors of the Liverpool Assurance insurance company to prosecute Captain Collingwood for insurance fraud. He threw overboard 133 African slaves whom he was transporting to Jamaica,allegedly to save supplies as he was off-course but the insurers claim this was caused by his poor seamanship. Then Garrow meets Gustavus Vassa,a freed slave who wants the charge altered to murder even though,in the law,slaves are classed as cargo and not persons. Garrow accepts Vassa's plaint and,backed by some surprising witnesses,makes the charge stick,though Collingwood is jailed and not hung.Lady Sarah has had a son,Samuel,but her jealous husband,Sir Arthur Hill,believes that Garrow is the father and turns her out of his house,planning to divorce her.   60     8.8     Historical Crime       Andrew Buchan         Alun Armstrong         Victoria Balnaves         Anthony Bowers         Stephen Boxer         Charlene Boyd         Jasper Britton         Michael Culkin         Christopher Downie         Rupert Graves         Kris Haddow         Anton Lesser         Lyndsey Marshal         Tony Maudsley         Aidan McArdle     Ashley Pearce     Garrow's Law S02E01\_sheet.jpg     Garrow's Law S02E01.avi   N/A

Working Properly:   Garrow’s Law, Series 3 Episode 1:  Screenshot here:

http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=mv1nlxnpgfwxibg

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
  Garrow's Law S3E01   Garrow's Law S3E01   Lady Sarah,her credit cut off by her husband,is living with Garrow and learning to cook for him. The young lawyer's reputation attracts the custom of Ann Hadfield,whose discontented ex-soldier husband James shot at the king and is charged with treason. Hadfield claims he had no murderous intent but wanted to be a martyr to provoke rebellion,prompting Garrow to plead insanity for his client. After a visit to Bedlam to learn about lunacy Garrow submits that it may strike the sufferer intermittently,to the horror of the establishment figures who fear it will reflect on the king's own condition. However,after evidence from Anne and a shock reaction from Hadfield,Garrow wins his case whilst Sarah sets about taking legal steps to retrieve her child.   2011-13-11   Lady Sarah,her credit cut off by her husband,is living with Garrow and learning to cook for him. The young lawyer's reputation attracts the custom of Ann Hadfield,whose discontented ex-soldier husband James shot at the king and is charged with treason. Hadfield claims he had no murderous intent but wanted to be a martyr to provoke rebellion,prompting Garrow to plead insanity for his client. After a visit to Bedlam to learn about lunacy Garrow submits that it may strike the sufferer intermittently,to the horror of the establishment figures who fear it will reflect on the king's own condition. However,after evidence from Anne and a shock reaction from Hadfield,Garrow wins his case whilst Sarah sets about taking legal steps to retrieve her child.   60     8.2     Historical Crime       Andrew Buchan         Alun Armstrong         Lyndsey Marshal         Rupert Graves         Aidan McArdle         Michael Culkin         Stephen Boxer         Mark Letheren         Tim Steed         Sian Brooke         Chris New         Olivia Grant         Gavin Kean         Clive Russell     Bryn Higgins     Garrow's Law S3E01\_sheet.jpg     Garrow's Law S3E01.avi   N/A

I can’t see anything from the xml data that would be causing the problem.

Let me ask you this though.  Have you attempted to delete all the TG generated data (delete everything except for the video file) then re-generate everything again?

Also, what firmware version are you running?

Let me ask you this though.  Have you attempted to delete all the TG generated data (delete everything except for the video file) then re-generate everything again?

Tinwarble, yes I have. I redid an early episode and a Series 3 episode with the same results.

I always create my own folder.jpg and movie title.jpg 120 x 180 files for every TV show episode and Movie file I do.

You can see what I do here:

http://movieshowto.50webs.com/Other/movie_sheets.html

Also, what firmware version are you running?

The latest firmware on my WDTV Live SMP.

Mate, I reckon it is the way the information has been entered into IMDB.  I always do TV Shows by episodes, I use “Manual” mode and copy paste the episode’s url in as a keyword.

95% of the time I have to manually edit the xml sheet and add info into “Title”, “Overview” and “Date”.  Then recently I created some Movie Sheets for a few episodes of The Borgia’s Series 2 and all I had to edit was the date to get it show Aussie Style.  Everything is done the same way following the same procedure.  Like the two sheets I posted earlier, I created all the series 2 and 3 sheets at the same time in the same session.

Movies work fine for nearly every movie.  TV Shows require more editing.

Recently I did 69 episodes of The Unit.  I have uploaded 36 episodes to my attached HDD and every episode’s Movie Sheet shows perfectly. 

It is just the 8 episodes from series 1 and 2 of Garrow’s Law which is the problem.

After all, it isn’t that important.  I just wondered if there was a quick fix. 

Ok, well for one, the link you provided is based on my tutorial, it doesn’t completely follow my tutorial.

You should follow my tutorial here:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Hub-Themes/Video-Tutorials-nOOb-Centeral/m-p/283846/highlight/true#M4559

Second, you shouldn’t have to manually edit the xml data, especially not the date.  You can make it insert the correct date by adding the “Date” format in the Options of Thumbgen.  In your case it would be yyyy-dd-MM, this will cause TG to always use this format in the xml (see my tutorial as to how to set this up).  As for the title and overview, you should edit it in TG and not manaully because:

Third, the SMP (and later HUB FW for that matter) is different in how it handles the xml data, than earlier FW versions on the HUB.  If you are using the media library and the metadata has been cached then you have to make the SMP update the caching, before it will accept the new data.  Unfortunately this is not an easy process to do.

Ok, well for one, the link you provided is based on my tutorial, it doesn’t completely follow my tutorial.

Hi again mate.  Yep, it is based on all the stuff you have done.  It is slightly different because it is what works best for me.  But it is your stuff.  I have links to your tutorial in there.

I will need to update my links on that webpage again with what I have learnt today!

You are spot on with shouldn’t be any need to manually edit the xml file.  I remembered your tip re the green tick and it saved me heaps of time.  I have previously adjusted the date as per your tutorial which is why I get the US date format.  I will get into my setup again and adjust the date to Aussie style.

I have just done 8 movie sheets for The Pillars Of The Earth and used the green tick method successfully.  By the way, all sheets were created perfectly.

You are a legend mate, I really appreciate getting some help from you.

I have at last worked out how to do TV Show Episodes successfully so I do not have to edit the xml sheet.  I was getting hit and miss results by clicking on the green tick to save any edits I had made to the Movie Information Sheet in ThumbGen.  Generally, despite clicking on the green tick to save the alterations, when I went to check the edited xml sheet, the edits weren’t there for Title, Overview and Year.

I found this tutorial:  http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Hub-General/Tutorial-ThumbGen-for-TV-Shows-UPDATED/td-p/124360

Though not written specifically for the WDTV Live SMP, I was able to adapt some of its instructions so it works for me.  Any edit I now make to the Movie Information in Thumbgen now gets saved to the xml sheet.

I also have to name my TV Episodes in a specific way, eg The Tudors - S1E3.avi  or The Tudors - S1E10.avi  This also means I have to have the episodes in folders, eg The Tudors S1E01 or The Tudors S1E10 to keep them in order. Finally I need to have a thumbnail of the dvd cover 120x180 and named folder.jpg in each folder.

When naming my episode video files this way, I get a totally different Movie Information format in ThumbGen. But after making any edits and by putting the to air date into the Year Box everything now seems to work OK.