Datavolume degraded Usage=unknown size=unknown Unable to access Shares

Ok so my 5 Day Old Shiny new NAS started sending me emails telling me 

“Volume ‘DataVolume’ is in degraded mode.”

ok Sure enough there is one Drive in Amber on the front… I head to the web and see that I need to pull the drive to get the S/N to get a replacement… Ok so I shut down the NAS, Pull The Drive, Fire the unit back up and now I get the Following… “[Volume Status] Data Volume ‘DataVolume’ doesn’t exist!” and can not access the 6TB of Data I just spent 4 days slowly copying onto it.

Someone Please Help as I have been Dealing with Raid 5 on wintel servers for years and have never seen an array lose Data with just one drive failed. so I am guessing that the reboot is waiting to mount the volume when I get a replacement drive? Is there any way I can tell it I am happy to continue in degraded mode till the new drive arrives?

Or is there any way to use a USB drive as a hot spare to convince this one to come back up?

My knowledge of Linux is just about tapped out knowing how to spell it, so I will need detailed steps if it involves the shell.

2.2.91 with MioNet 4.3.1.7
built on Tue, 19 Oct 2010 18:00:30

Disk Volume Size Description Status  
HDD 4 DataVolume 1.82 TB WDC WD20EARS-00MVWB0 Good  
HDD 3 -- -- -- Not Installed
HDD 2 DataVolume 1.82 TB WDC WD20EARS-00MVWB0 Good  
HDD 1 DataVolume 1.82 TB WDC WD20EARS-00MVWB0 Good

So I have been on the Phone with WD Tech Support for over an hour now and they were next to useless, they keep claiming that I have to replace the failed drive before I can access the shares again, the reason I used raid 5 was so that I if a drive failed I would be able to keep working, the guy tried to tell me that all of the data is gone because it it was on the arrray, I don’t think he knew a Raid array from raiding the kitchen…Please let me talk to a second leveln tech, “sorry  they are closed” So I said send me the new drive and lets Try that… ok so thats gonna be 10-14 business days, this is the point where I say ok Its time to Get an RMA from my Distrbuter and order another Brand… This thing is obviously a Joke and I would recomend no one put anythng more important than backup copys of AOL Maler CD’s…

:frowning: