Data volume failed to mount

But #22 is my post :slight_smile:

If you mean #19

“it has appeared in /shares/Public”

My box does not have a “/shares” directory.

My best guess is that your samba config must have become faulty.

I would suggest that you copy all user Data from the box into another pc.

Afterwards you could try to do a firmware upgrade which should reset all configuration.

Maybe after that the data is still accessible or evt. you will have to recopy it from your pc into the box.

I tried firmware update. What’s upgrade?

LinAdmin suggested that you update and he is correct when he said that doing so should restore your device but since your running the latest firmware you can’t anyway so theres a trick that I do with the MyBookLive when ever I need to restore and the only access I have is ssh not sure if it applies to the MyCloud but if you want to try it I’ll provide the instructions

1. Download and install WinSCP (link below)

http://download.winscp.net/download/files/2013…

1. Download the firmware file (link below)

http://download.wdc.com/nas/WDMyCloud-030301-156.zip

1. Unzip the folders .deb file

4.  Using WinSCP  paste the firmware file you just downloaded and extracted in the “/CacheVolume” directory

5.  Using PuttySSH  into the device and  cd  to “usr/local/sbin” you can do this by typing the following command into putty and pressing the enter key.

cd /usr/local/sbin
  1. Using putty type in the following command (capitalization counts) and hit enter

updateFirmwareFromFile.sh /CacheVolume/sq-030301-156-20131230.deb

Wait for it to restart  

after the restart log in the web UI and run a full factory restore once that’s done theoretically your drive should be in an out of the box state condition.

LinAdmin i know someone posted a diskimage of there MyCloud do you know how to apply it to a drive I’m not all to familiar with imaging.

you can also try 

formatDataVolume.sh

LinAdmin wrote:

Theaugustin, do you not have a MyCloud?

What will the list of files help you?

I do and I don’t I mean I bought one a few days ago but ended up taking out the hard drive I’m planning on putting in a 4TB HDD thats comming in the mail so the one I have isn’t working as of right now

totmaks wrote:

Do you know how to fix samba config?

“Your firmware is up to date”.

When i tried to update manually from file via Dashboard it said “Device does not have enough space for upgrade.”

Or you mean something else?

So, I got error message

ok, I think everything was quite fine untill that line 

Unpacking replacement sq ...
dpkg: error processing /CacheVolume/sq-030301-156-20131230.deb (--install):
 cannot copy extracted data for './CacheVolume/upgrade/rootfs.img' to '/CacheVolume/upgrade/rootfs.img.dpkg-new': failed to write (No space left on device)
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess paste was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
sq postinst
Processing triggers for wd-nas ...
[wd-nas.postinst] 01/19/14 21:32:44: triggered project-install-trigger context=triggered
[wd-nas.postinst] 01/19/14 21:32:44: done.
Processing triggers for alerts ...
[alerts.postinst] 01/19/14 21:32:44: triggered project-install-trigger context=triggered
[alerts.postinst] 01/19/14 21:32:44: done.
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /CacheVolume/sq-030301-156-20131230.deb
        Unpack timeout occurred
failed 202 "upgrade download failure"
stopping duplicate md device /dev/md0
Restore raid device: /dev/sda1
Restore raid device: /dev/sda2
umount: /shares: not mounted

No space left on device

error while processing

unpack timeout

and fail…

wait im lost are you following the steps i gave you or LinAdmins?

LinAdmin wrote:

Thx I understood now.

Repairing your system most probably is a highly nerve-racking task, and therefore I think that upgrade will restore everything.

Most probably installation of additional software filled your system partition not leaving enough space for the new version. It could also be that the image gets first stored in the data partition.

When I type “df -H” the first 2 lines are:

rootfs       2.1G 650M 1.3G 34% /
/dev/root    2.1G 650M 1.3G 34% /

This shows that from 2.1G less than half is used. What does your box show?

I suggest that you delete some files in sda4 to have enough free space there too.

WDMyCloud:~# df -H
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
rootfs 2.1G 869M 1.1G 46% /
/dev/root 2.1G 869M 1.1G 46% /
tmpfs 24M 459k 24M 2% /run
tmpfs 42M 4.1k 42M 1% /run/lock
tmpfs 11M 0 11M 0% /dev
tmpfs 5.3M 0 5.3M 0% /run/shm
tmpfs 105M 140k 105M 1% /tmp
/dev/sda4 3.0T 405G 2.5T 14% /DataVolume

I’m not sure that I understand you. rootfs has 54% free space and sda4 has 86% free space. For updating firmware I need free space on rootfs? How deleting files in sda4 helps in it? Are they different partitions?

And a little offtop (for example My Cloud is working): can I see all my shares (/DataVolume/shares/) in different OS? What filesystems do shares have?

LinAdmin wrote:

“updateFirmwareFromFile.sh /CacheVolume/sq-030301-156-20131230.deb”

How did you gather knowledge that this works on MyBook?

Are the scripts in sbin somewhere documented?

I said MBL which stands for My Book Live they are two different things those scripts were placed there by WD. The device uses them to add users, add shares, delete shares, update its firmware, etc. and I know that it works becuase I’ve done many times and assisted a few people and it solved there problems.

Theagustin wrote:

wait im lost are you following the steps i gave you or LinAdmins?

I followed LinAdmin steps earlier.

Your steps with WinSCP I followed and replied in #38

Hi guys,

I’m stuck in a similar situation:
When I restart my device (MyCloud 2TB) DataVolume is not mounted. After mounting it I can access my files via ssh but not via smb. Trying to manually update firmware results for me as well in fail due to insufficiant space. 
The Dashboard shows I have 1.3GB free out of 2 GB.
totmaks, did you succeed in fixing your device? How?
If not, does anyone has any suggestions as to what my next step could be to restore my device to working order?

yahavrave wrote:

Hi guys,

I’m stuck in a similar situation:
When I restart my device (MyCloud 2TB) DataVolume is not mounted. After mounting it I can access my files via ssh but not via smb. Trying to manually update firmware results for me as well in fail due to insufficiant space. 
The Dashboard shows I have 1.3GB free out of 2 GB.
totmaks, did you succeed in fixing your device? How?
If not, does anyone has any suggestions as to what my next step could be to restore my device to working order?

No, I’m not. LinAdmin and  Theaugustin were suggesting me some solutions, but then they suddenly stopped. So, still there is the problem.

LinAdmin wrote:

Thx I understood now.

Repairing your system most probably is a highly nerve-racking task, and therefore I think that upgrade will restore everything.

Most probably installation of additional software filled your system partition not leaving enough space for the new version. It could also be that the image gets first stored in the data partition.

When I type “df -H” the first 2 lines are:

rootfs       2.1G 650M 1.3G 34% /
/dev/root    2.1G 650M 1.3G 34% /

This shows that from 2.1G less than half is used. What does your box show?

I suggest that you delete some files in sda4 to have enough free space there too.

• *> * * *
      totmaks wrote:

WDMyCloud:~# df -H
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
rootfs 2.1G 869M 1.1G 46% /
/dev/root 2.1G 869M 1.1G 46% /
tmpfs 24M 459k 24M 2% /run
tmpfs 42M 4.1k 42M 1% /run/lock
tmpfs 11M 0 11M 0% /dev
tmpfs 5.3M 0 5.3M 0% /run/shm
tmpfs 105M 140k 105M 1% /tmp
/dev/sda4 3.0T 405G 2.5T 14% /DataVolume

I’m not sure that I understand you. rootfs has 54% free space and sda4 has 86% free space. For updating firmware I need free space on rootfs? How deleting files in sda4 helps in it? Are they different partitions?

What should I do next?

Well,
I’m pretty much grasping at straws now…
Running the wipeFactoryRestore.sh didn’t do any good, I’m back in the same place except my data is gone (was backed up anyway) and the partition doesn’t seem to be formatted to ext4 anymore.

I have little to none understanding of linux so would appreciate any advice.

Can anyone please post a virgine disk image, maybe I could just copy it over mine? 

I Did it!
Totmaks, I think my solution should help you too:

Your problems with updating firmware was not actually lack of space but missing/wrong binds.
During the upgrade process the device need to unpack the content of the .deb to /CacheVolume but will only have enough space if the cache folder  /DataVolume/cache is bound there.

So :

step 1) make sure /dev/sda4 is mounted at /DataVolume

- you might also want to activate your swap if it too did not activate properly (“swapon /dev/sda3”)

step 2) bind /DataVolume/cache  at /CacheVolume
step 3) start the update script: “updateFirmwareFromFile.sh sq-030301-156-20131230.deb”

Let me know if it helped.
Good luck!

2 Likes

Well I did do a lot of reading before I tired this scripts, as well as reading the script itself to see there’s nothing malicious in it. 
I am not sure why my mount points were lost, it might have to do with me mounting an ext4 external drive to back it up.
I had to mount it manually, although that might no be it since the box kept working for several fdays after that including reboots and it was not mounted at the time. The WDMC just froze, the reset button did not do anything and  after the power went out for a few seconds it restarted with a red lamp and bad mounts… 

yahavrave wrote:

I Did it!
Totmaks, I think my solution should help you too:

Your problems with updating firmware was not actually lack of space but missing/wrong binds.
During the upgrade process the device need to unpack the content of the .deb to /CacheVolume but will only have enough space if the cache folder  /DataVolume/cache is bound there.

So :

step 1) make sure /dev/sda4 is mounted at /DataVolume

- you might also want to activate your swap if it too did not activate properly (“swapon /dev/sda3”)

step 2) bind /DataVolume/cache  at /CacheVolume
step 3) start the update script: “updateFirmwareFromFile.sh sq-030301-156-20131230.deb”

Let me know if it helped.
Good luck!

Yes, it helped! It works!

Thank you very much!

Great,

Glad I could help!

(Don’t hesitate to klick the kudus button if you’re in the mood)

1 Like

I was having a similar issue, getting a “Device does not have enough space for upgrade.” error message, but the fix was different.

I had /dev/sda4 mounted on /DataVolume, but it didn’t show up on df for some reason. When I used mount /dev/sda4 /DataVolume, I got a message that it was already mounted at /nfs/Music. This is what I had on mtab:

/dev/sda4 /DataVolume ext4 rw,noatime,nodiratime,user_xattr,barrier=0,data=writeback 0 0
/dev/sda4 /CacheVolume ext4 rw,noatime,nodiratime,user_xattr,barrier=0,data=writeback 0 0
/dev/sda4 /shares ext4 rw,noatime,nodiratime,user_xattr,barrier=0,data=writeback 0 0
/dev/sda4 /nfs/SmartWare ext4 rw,noatime,nodiratime,user_xattr,barrier=0,data=writeback 0 0
/dev/sda4 /nfs/Public ext4 rw,noatime,nodiratime,user_xattr,barrier=0,data=writeback 0 0
/dev/sda4 /nfs/TimeMachineBackup ext4 rw,noatime,nodiratime,user_xattr,barrier=0,data=writeback 0 0
/dev/sda4 /nfs/Music ext4 rw,noatime,nodiratime,user_xattr,barrier=0,data=writeback 0 0

So knowing that it wasn’t a mount/bindissue, I decided to look into the updateFirmwareFromFile.sh script. If you look into the portion that checks disk usage, it goes

dfout=`df | grep /DataVolume`

Problem is, df wasn’t listing the space for /DataVolume:

Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
rootfs 1968336 482224 1386124 26% /
/dev/root 1968336 482224 1386124 26% /
tmpfs 23056 332 22724 2% /run
tmpfs 40960 4 40956 1% /run/lock
tmpfs 10240 0 10240 0% /dev
tmpfs 5120 0 5120 0% /run/shm
tmpfs 102400 148 102252 1% /tmp
/dev/root 1968336 482224 1386124 26% /var/log.hdd
ramlog-tmpfs 20480 2644 17836 13% /var/log

So what I did was to simply change this line to 

dfout=`df -a | grep /DataVolume`

and voilá… the script ran fine, firmware updated. I even reached out to WD support for assistance before going into the scripts but they only suggested me to do a full factory restore which I didn’t wanted to do. After the upgrade, df shows up all mounted drives. Probably this was caused by me running apt-get upgrade (ooops) when messing around… glad I figured it out.

Dropping by to say that had the same problem and this fixed everything up.

It might have been related to installing transmission+flexget.

In any case, I was able to get my drive back to default factory status and keep all my data.

After the firmware reset it didn’t show my shares on the web interface but i could ls them fine in the shell.

Changed the names to .bak, recreated all the shares in the web interface, moved the files to the new directories and everything seems to be fine now.

Thanks a bunch yahavrave, saved my **bleep**.