Data transfer speed on My Book Live 2.0 TB - green vs yellow light on back

I purchase the 2.0 TB My Book Live to act as a media server / central backup for the PCs and Macs on my home network.  The data transfer rate is slow (not the advertised 1000 Mbps).  The connection light on the bacj is yellow which the book says means 10/100 Mbps.  How do I get to the next level of conneection (green light) which is 1,000 Mbps?  I have a brand new Verizon Fios router which should be able to handle that speed.

I have a brand new Verizon Fios router which should be able to handle that speed.

You say should? Do you know if it actually does support 1000Mbps.

Hi there, I just checked the user manual for your router and on page 9 it states it has a 10/100 Mbps Ethernet switch, so your router is not helping.

The Verizon FIOS may be a new router, but that doesn’t make it good one.

Try a LinkSys or a D-Link and see the difference :slight_smile:

true

but you can do a 30€gigabit switch between your router and PC ,MBL nad your problems are gone

Below is the info on the router.  I am able to stream video easily, and download speeds from the internet to my laptop over the wireless network are very fast, so I don’t think that is the limitation.  When I try to stream a small video (mp4 from a flip camera) from the WD drive to my laptop, it is too slow and the video stops / starts and is never smooth.

Verizon FiOS Router

Model #: MI424WR for Verizon FiOS

The Verizon FiOS Router, a fiber optic, broadband wireless router for Verizon FiOS digital homes, packs in more features and performance capabilities than any other fiber router on the market.  It is the first device to feature a dual-core, 64-bit processor that allows it to support home networking speeds over to 100 Mbps and permits FiOS TV and other content to be distributed to multiple devices in the home over coaxial cable.  The router supports MoCA, Ethernet and wireless networking.

• Premier router used in Verizon FiOS homes

• Superior routing and networking capabilities

• Industry’s first dual-core 64-bit processor
    • Able to support speeds well beyond 100 Mbps
  • Enterprise Level Security

• Customizable firewall
    • Stateful Packet Inspection
    • Denial of Service protection
    • Content Filtering/Parental Controls
    • Intrusion Detection
    • WPA and WEP WiFi encryption
  • Hardware-enabled QoS (Quality of Service)

• 8 input and 8 output channels
    • Frees up CPU for other bandwidth needs
  • TR-69+ Remote Management

I don’t think it’s going to give you 100Mbps reads over the 10/100 port it has… Either Verizon says so for marketing or page 9 of the FIOS user manual is wrong… Again, even with all of those features your router does not help you with the 10/100 (Megabit) port it has… For internet and broadband those features you listed are very good, but they do no justice to clean networking. Sent from Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 Mini Pro on Android 2.2.1 (Custom FroYo)

Yes, i think you are correct.  So I guess that means I cant even attach a faster home route to the Fios modem, because I will still be limited to that speed?  Why can i stream video smoothly from the internet, but not from the WD Live drive?

Because when you stream from the internet you stream with the speed of the internet connection, but when you stream from a NAS the speed of the stream depends on the speed of the NAS, the router and the interface (Wired vs. Wireless), NOT the internet connection speed.

This is because you can stream from a NAS or even share files bwtween computers just by using a router since clean networking does not depend or need internet to work, just a proper setup.

You can buy a Gigabit router and connect both your FIOS router and the MyBook Live to it and it should solve it, as suggested by WDLIVEBOOK.