Data loss - loggedin and have access to files older than 2 years

Please, I started up working today and unfortunatelly I realized that all my data (2 years) have been lost from my WDcloud.

My product’s SN starts with WDBVXC, I don’t know why and how that happened.

I tried to reach WD by phone in my country, but I cannot contact anyone.

PLEASE I need support to recover at least the most recent backup of my files. I have all my work and personal files on the cloud without ANY backup…

Welcome to the WD Community.

Can you explain a bit more what exactly did happen and which steps you already took?
Do you still have access to the Dashboard? If yes, can you see your Shares?

Thanks for your reply… I can access the device and the dashboard, everything seems just fine. However, the files structure and versions are two years ago. It is like someone restored the device in a previous version, like the device forgot the last two years of existence and returned to July 2020.
I managed to reach customer service and I am waiting for a reply. I sent them the log files. As they said, it doesn’t make sense, there isn’t even an option to restore in a previous backup version the device… I hope for a solution. I really need the files for my work.

What do you mean by ‘versions’? There is no such option to have versions. Neither is there an option to restore to a previous version.

Do you use the Internal Backup app? In this case there might be ‘versions’ created if you have selected to create Incremental Backups.

Something must have went wrong from a user point of view. Does anybody else have access to the device and may have tinkered with it?

I can only imagine following scenario:

This scenario sounds weird and unusual but so does the case that you described.

To backup files from Source A to Source B and create incremental version.
‘Backup’ those backed-up files from Source B back to Source A (basically restoring them) but using the Synchronize option rather than Incremental…

Or do you use some external software on your PC that create and restore files and versions?

The weird thing is that neither there is other user (at least a user I know) that has access and could do something like that nor I use external software to create and restore “versions”. I also DONT use internal backup app… I used the word “versions” to describe the situation, and yes, it looks very weird and cannot be explained.

The only thing I could understand from the “version” I can see, is that this was the folders’ structure when I first bought the device and synced my files for a first time… So it is like the device decided to return to its “initial situation”.

You lost your files after this happened, correct?

Maybe there was a filesystem error, and while the NAS tried to repair it, it also removed newer file entries and restored older ones. This is all hypothetical and I’m afraid the support team will not be able to help you.

I would recommend to consider recovering your files using an external solution outside of the NAS, for example Data Recovery programs - if the data is important. But this is time and/or money consuming.

In general you should do as little as possible with your to not increase the damage.

Yes, after this happened I lost them. I do not use the device since then, I am just waiting for the suggestion of the technicians. What about these data recovery process? I 've seen external partners on the website, with free shipping and free sample of data to proceed with the recovery. Does it really work?

Yes, the data are important, it’s all my work data. I know it sounds stupid now, but I used this device as the core store place for all my past and current projects… some of them, the most recent ones, can be restored through emails, but there are data that I don’t even have access to that emails anymore…

If the data recovery works, how long could it take and what is the expected cost?

Thank you once more for your time and ideas.

I have not tried a data recovery company because I found them too expensive and it was not worth for me.

What I did try is use a software like R-Studio Data Recovery with good results.

Thanks. I hope I will come back with a positive result. Until then, I will wait a little bit more to get a final reply by the customer service and then proceed with a data recovery solution.

1 Like