Data lifeguard diagnostics

Test Option: WRITE ZEROS
Model Number: WD 10EACS External
Unit Serial Number: WCASJ0400396
Firmware Number: 1.65
Capacity: 1000.20 GB
SMART Status: PASS
Test Result: FAIL
Test Error Code: 09-Sector #302592-302848::Write Zeros error!
Test Time: 17:07:29, November 06, 2010
Test Option: QUICK TEST
Model Number: WD 10EACS External
Unit Serial Number: WCASJ0400396
Firmware Number: 1.65
Capacity: 1000.20 GB
SMART Status: PASS
Test Result: PASS
Test Time: 18:29:12, November 06, 2010

I’m new here, and this is my 2nd HDD that is being a pain. Is this drive salvagable? Is there anything I can do?

Hi

Joined this forum to reply to your post.

I had exactly the same thing happen to a WD VelociRaptor that I used to use as a boot drive (Windows 7) but bought an OCZ Vertex 2E 120GB SSD the other day to replace it. Decided to use the Raptor (only about 12 months old) as a secondary drive. So I did a quick format, then decided that I would run WD Lifeguard to write zeroes to it. And got the IDENTICAL error message to you. Ran the Quick test and that passed. Than ran the Extended test and that passed. Then ran Windows Check Disk (quick mode) and then with “check for bad sectors and try to fix” and it also passed those fine.

So… I’m assuming that there is just some sort of problem with the Lifeguard write zeros program!!! And that the disk is fine.

I had to use the Windows version of Lifeguard, as the bootable CD I created a while back would not boot from. It used to when I was running the SATA drives in IDE mode, but on switching it to AHCI mode (to best accommodate the SSD) I can’t seem to boot from it.

Be interested to hear if anyone else has any opinions.

I shall just carry on and use this disk (for storage) but making sure I back it up on occasion just in case (I would anyway).

Thinking on it, when I did use the Vraptor as a boot drive, I did get the odd warning message and it would automatically run Check disk on the drive when I started the PC up. I put this down to having had a power cut a while back when the PC was running (timing about right). Though think this is a red Herring!

PS. The write zeros problem I had was the same sector etc. (IE. identical error message)