Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for linux

Hi,

I was wondering if there is a software available to do low level format on WD drives (4TB) to fix few media errors. Like Data Lifeguard diagnostic which is available for Windows but not for linux.

Thanks

KAshif

1 Like

Hello, kashif1,

I would like to inform you that LINUX, UBUNTU and their different version are officially not supported by us. However, you can search it over the web how to low level format the drive using LINUX.

Hi: kashif1

Why don’t you give the Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS a try.

Download Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS (current version 5.27)

Follow the instructions to create a bootable USB.
Turn off you computer and remove the sata power connector from all the hard drives.
Connect the hard drive that you think may be defective.
Turn on the computer.
Set your bios to boot from a USB device.
Type dosdlg.exe

Select WRITE ZEROS TO DRIVE and do a full erase.

It should take about 2.5 hrs depending on the computer (2 to 2.5 hours per tera byte).

It not only erases the hard drive but it also checks to see if it is working properly.

if the drive is defective it will come back with an error code that WD support wants for a RMA.

NotaCanada

I think that You should switch to support Linux too. For example - from April 2017 officially more usual people connect to Internet using Linux Android that by other system. Even well known Bill is now using Linux Android than their own product. As a buyer I usually prefer complex solutions with Linux support, even if they are little pricier than others. Because it usually mean that quality of product is higher.

Hi,

I know this is an old topic but I know a lot of linux users who purchased Wester Digital hard drives and SSD and still don’t have any support from WD, it would be nice to have a tool that will let us know how our HDs and SSD are doing. I personally have 2-8TB and 2-4TB HDDs from WD, all my new HDs are Seagate since I saw Seatools available for linux, and I was very happy to see that Seatools is also able diagnose WD HDDs… I have Seatools on all my Linux Servers to check them once and a while, I hope that WD will value all linux customers in the near future that have WD on their servers and Desktops like me.