Dashboard problem - No info in Capacity usage

My available capacity has reutrned 2.8 T.  I had loaded about  T over several days - all backup stuff. The system seemed to spend a lot of time generating thumbnails, and I suppose it would make sense not to show capacity until done because the volume consumed by thumbnalls might not be easily forecast.

I suppose if there are other housekeeping activies, and they take as much time as suggested, here, then that would be the explanation for why it took days to see “capacity” again.  Very strange.

I have the same problem - No info in Capacity usage.

Shutdown and restart does not fix it…

The Content Scan may be the issue.

I got a new drive and copied 88,000 photos to it.

Content Scan seems to have been running over a day…

WD needs a solution for this whatever is causing it.

Firmware: v04.01.02-417

I’d like to chime in on this conversation… I’m using a Mac and experiencing the same problem. I’m extremely frustrated by the amount of time I’ve spent consolodating all of my files onto a 3TB drive, only to remove them, complete a full restore, and replace them, after being encouraged to do so by WD Support. It’s still not reading the remainig capacity and I’ve now exceeded the time limit of the store’s retun policy. So it goes. 

Well, my drive is now showing the Capacity in the UI and WD Quick View.

I’m exhausted from working with this, so I hope this makes sense.

This is my second My Cloud.

The first one would not show the Capacity and got stuck at 90% on the Diagnostics Quick Test.

I took that one back to the store and got the one I currently have.

It did the same thing.

I called WD about the drive getting stuck at 90% on the Diagnostics Quick Test and they had me do a Quick Restore which fixed that problem.  About 10 minutes later I tried the Diagnostics Quick Test again and it got stuck at 90%.  My solution to that was to Shutdown the My Cloud, unplug it for 10 seconds, and plug it back in.  That fixed that issue.

This drive showed the Capacity in the UI & Quick View when I first got it.

Then I put 140,000 files on it and it no longer showed the Capacity in the UI or Quick View .

I tried everything I could think of to no avail, including Shutdown the My Cloud, unplug it for 10 seconds, and plug it back in.

So I called WD.  They had me go through all the basics and finally wanted to send me a replacement.  I insisted they elavate the issue.  I felt another one would just do the same thing.  They are going to call me Monday.

In the meantime…

I disabled DLNA Media Server, iTunes Server, and Cloud Access.

Then I noticed that when when you went to the Shares page in the UI and clicked on each Share it would show you how much space was used.  I did that and put it in a spreadsheet.   I also turned off Media Serving for al 9 Shares.

Then I got an email from the support ticket I had entered which suggested:

How to reset a WD My Cloud, Mirror, EX2, or EX4 Personal Cloud drive
http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10432

I used a paper clip to hold the reset button down 4 seconds, but it did not reboot.  So I tried 7 seconds, but it did not reboot.

So I did a Shutdown and went and did other things for an hour.

I came back and unplugged it for 10 seconds, plugged it back in and went away while it started up.

When I came back I found that the Capacity in the UI & Quick View were working!

Also, the Content Scan was finally Idle (after about 4-5 days).

It had been Idle occassionaly during that time.  But then it would start back up.

So now it is working.

I wish I could tell you what did it…

Poooeeee. Same problem here.  I’ve spent far too many hours over the last few days trying to get this box to do what it’s sposed to do. I can only assume that the people who are happy with this product are gradually  - very gradually  - loading content on to it so that it has time to index and register all the file types. Then …maybe, if you’re lucky, it will work properly 

For me the following has made the interface (web or local client)  lock up and then, if you can get an ssh connection into the linux o.s. , you will see huge delays in response times to typing commands and also even ping rates back to other bits of kit on your lan.

I’m really surprised how poor this product is.

- do not try to index content on an external usb drive  hanging out the back of the box (usb 2 anyway, maybe it’s better on a usb 3 drive)  - it will just hang

-  the current version seems to just hang also if you load about 1Tb of mixed content into the public area, even if you leave fit or a couple of days

• consider rolling back to an earlier version of the firmware. There’s another thread where people have seen significant improvment in performance and functionaility using the last of the version 3 release of the firmware i.e. not version 4 at all! 

I tried this and for me at least this has allowed me to log into either the client and or web browser to see what’s going on.  After about 24 hours I still cannot see the available capacity but I can see that  by looking at content scan status it is still working on building the thumbnails and scanning on the loaded content.  Maybe in another 24 it will have finished. woo - effing-hoo. Nice one WD.

Is this product really fit for purpose? Is it stable and reliable?  Does the code actually get tested before it’s released?

Just a follow-up.

Since yesterday the UI has displayed the Capacity most every time.

To see if I could reproduce it I copied 50 jpg’s to the drive and watched the UI.

It started scanning and replaced the Capacity with a dash.

It displayed Scanning, Idle, Building, then Idle.

The dash was till there so I logged out and back in to the UI and the Capacity was back again.

It took about 3.5 minutes to do this for 50 files.

At that rate it’s reasonable it would take ~6 days for 140,000 files.

TrailMoose wrote:

Just a follow-up.

Since yesterday the UI has displayed the Capacity most every time.

To see if I could reproduce it I copied 50 jpg’s to the drive and watched the UI.

It started scanning and replaced the Capacity with a dash.

It displayed Scanning, Idle, Building, then Idle.

The dash was till there so I logged out and back in to the UI and the Capacity was back again.

It took about 3.5 minutes to do this for 50 files.

At that rate it’s reasonable it would take ~6 days for 140,000 files.

Understandable, sure, but reasonable?  It also appears that whatever it does that takes a week starts over again if the unit is depowered and repowered.  I think this is pretty lame.  I cannot believe that no-one from WD who understands this thing ever looks in on this thread.

I was able to convince WD to elevate my support ticket.

I sent them a DOS script that would create 100,000 5MB files so they could see the problem for themselves.

When I ran the script I had the “dash” for ~4 days.

Here is part of the response I got:

When you emailed me last, I forwarded the instructions that you sent to my supervisors that in turn, are sent to the appropiate engineers to examine the issue closely. Thanks for that by the way. 

Also, said engineering team is aware and working on the issue.  Once a fix is found, it will be provided in the form of a firmware release.  As with any firmware change, the new firmware has to go through a complete regression test before it can be released to ensure that the change has not compromised any other feature; therefore, we do not have a release date.

I am glad they are working on the issue.

Hopefully they will get a firmware update out soon…

Hey guys,

Is there any solution for this issue so far?

I had this problem and tried multiple re-boots and system resets but got no joy. This was a pain as I could not upgrade the firmware because i was getting the “not enough space” error message. I finally solved the capacity issue in the dashboard by turning off the DNLA  and itunes media servers and then rebuilding the content database. Two minutes and it was fixed!

See under: General - Cloud Access - Configure - Content Database - Rebuild 

Once the capacity was showing correctly I turned the media servers back on and it is now functioning normally.

I too am having this issue and I believe it may be causing issues with my downloads from FileZilla stopping all of a sudden with an “error writing to local disk”. I’m running a full diagnostic currently, but have rebooted the unit several times only to find that I’m still displaying a “-” instead of the actual capactiy of my 4TB MyCloud.

I know there’s about a1TB left and I have DLNA turned off on the folder level and the server level. I use this only for pure storage of data.

This was not happening until the most recent firmwares as far as I can tell.

kmedeiros wrote:

I too am having this issue and I believe it may be causing issues with my downloads from FileZilla stopping all of a sudden with an “error writing to local disk”. I’m running a full diagnostic currently, but have rebooted the unit several times only to find that I’m still displaying a “-” instead of the actual capactiy of my 4TB MyCloud.

I know there’s about a1TB left and I have DLNA turned off on the folder level and the server level. I use this only for pure storage of data.

This was not happening until the most recent firmwares as far as I can tell.

The problem should be quite easy to diagnose and fix for the software developers at WD… why the delay so long?

This is ridiculous.  I’ve performed all the resets and restores, disabled all dlna servers, etc.  None of it works.  All WD support solutions involve resets.  The drive appears to work fine, it’s the crappy Dashboard interface.  I experienced a similar situation about 4 yrs ago with a Seagate network drive.  The drive was fine, but the interface was eerily similar to the WD Dashboard.  Not necessarily appearance wise, but dysfunctionality.  Where’s the fix?

PS: this is still broken.   I have my drive has been scanning for over 24 hours…  

Still no fix for this problem?

Why is this thread marked as solved?

nogood wrote:

Still no fix for this problem?

Why is this thread marked as solved?

Q: Still no fix for this problem?

A: No

Q: Why is this thread marked as solved?

A: Because the original poster’s problem was solved with a My Cloud reboot and he is the one that marked the problem solved.

2 Likes

its because your wd is busy in updating its DLNA Server Database. Once its completed you will be able to see your capacity. see the progress in Settings/Media/ Last Update

its because your wd is busy in updating its DLNA Server Database.

The drive capacity has nothing to do with DLNA scanning; you may have no media on the disk (but plenty of data), and it should still tell you the capacity; I.e. how much space is free.

DLNA scanning shouldn’t take 24 hours; my Twonky scans 65k tracks, 6k photos and a few short videos (about 1.5 TB) in about 15 minutes.

Hi all,

I have just bought a NAS 4TB and i loaded approximately 65GB of photos, 38GB of tracks and 38GB of videos.

As a result, I have the same issue with capacity as well as the issue with the android application and the error message “cannot access the file”. I believe that the issue is caused from the fact that the NAS/DLNA has not built the thumbnails.

My question is whether this task is happening everytime that you reboot the NAS.

Cheers,

Thanos

1 Like

amazing after more than one year since first issue raised - still NO solution!!! not very good record for WD I am afraid.