Dashboard problem - No info in Capacity usage

I was able to convince WD to elevate my support ticket.

I sent them a DOS script that would create 100,000 5MB files so they could see the problem for themselves.

When I ran the script I had the “dash” for ~4 days.

Here is part of the response I got:

When you emailed me last, I forwarded the instructions that you sent to my supervisors that in turn, are sent to the appropiate engineers to examine the issue closely. Thanks for that by the way. 

Also, said engineering team is aware and working on the issue.  Once a fix is found, it will be provided in the form of a firmware release.  As with any firmware change, the new firmware has to go through a complete regression test before it can be released to ensure that the change has not compromised any other feature; therefore, we do not have a release date.

I am glad they are working on the issue.

Hopefully they will get a firmware update out soon…

Hey guys,

Is there any solution for this issue so far?

I had this problem and tried multiple re-boots and system resets but got no joy. This was a pain as I could not upgrade the firmware because i was getting the “not enough space” error message. I finally solved the capacity issue in the dashboard by turning off the DNLA  and itunes media servers and then rebuilding the content database. Two minutes and it was fixed!

See under: General - Cloud Access - Configure - Content Database - Rebuild 

Once the capacity was showing correctly I turned the media servers back on and it is now functioning normally.

I too am having this issue and I believe it may be causing issues with my downloads from FileZilla stopping all of a sudden with an “error writing to local disk”. I’m running a full diagnostic currently, but have rebooted the unit several times only to find that I’m still displaying a “-” instead of the actual capactiy of my 4TB MyCloud.

I know there’s about a1TB left and I have DLNA turned off on the folder level and the server level. I use this only for pure storage of data.

This was not happening until the most recent firmwares as far as I can tell.

kmedeiros wrote:

I too am having this issue and I believe it may be causing issues with my downloads from FileZilla stopping all of a sudden with an “error writing to local disk”. I’m running a full diagnostic currently, but have rebooted the unit several times only to find that I’m still displaying a “-” instead of the actual capactiy of my 4TB MyCloud.

I know there’s about a1TB left and I have DLNA turned off on the folder level and the server level. I use this only for pure storage of data.

This was not happening until the most recent firmwares as far as I can tell.

The problem should be quite easy to diagnose and fix for the software developers at WD… why the delay so long?

This is ridiculous.  I’ve performed all the resets and restores, disabled all dlna servers, etc.  None of it works.  All WD support solutions involve resets.  The drive appears to work fine, it’s the crappy Dashboard interface.  I experienced a similar situation about 4 yrs ago with a Seagate network drive.  The drive was fine, but the interface was eerily similar to the WD Dashboard.  Not necessarily appearance wise, but dysfunctionality.  Where’s the fix?

PS: this is still broken.   I have my drive has been scanning for over 24 hours…  

Still no fix for this problem?

Why is this thread marked as solved?

nogood wrote:

Still no fix for this problem?

Why is this thread marked as solved?

Q: Still no fix for this problem?

A: No

Q: Why is this thread marked as solved?

A: Because the original poster’s problem was solved with a My Cloud reboot and he is the one that marked the problem solved.

2 Likes

its because your wd is busy in updating its DLNA Server Database. Once its completed you will be able to see your capacity. see the progress in Settings/Media/ Last Update

its because your wd is busy in updating its DLNA Server Database.

The drive capacity has nothing to do with DLNA scanning; you may have no media on the disk (but plenty of data), and it should still tell you the capacity; I.e. how much space is free.

DLNA scanning shouldn’t take 24 hours; my Twonky scans 65k tracks, 6k photos and a few short videos (about 1.5 TB) in about 15 minutes.

Hi all,

I have just bought a NAS 4TB and i loaded approximately 65GB of photos, 38GB of tracks and 38GB of videos.

As a result, I have the same issue with capacity as well as the issue with the android application and the error message “cannot access the file”. I believe that the issue is caused from the fact that the NAS/DLNA has not built the thumbnails.

My question is whether this task is happening everytime that you reboot the NAS.

Cheers,

Thanos

1 Like

amazing after more than one year since first issue raised - still NO solution!!! not very good record for WD I am afraid.

Agreed… will avoid WD with any future releated HDD / NAS purchases ive had this issue for months and months and no firmware updates have helped…

all content scans etc say idle, even if it was scanning a year or so should be long enuf.

New firmware brought back my capacity display!

I had the same problem, with old firmwares the Content scan was not finished, but the capacity was shown, with the FW v04.04.00-303 was the “Capacity” field empty, and it was endlessly scanning the content. The reason were incorrect jpg files, I spent a couple of hours to find and remove them. In the log were lines like

Error    Transcoding failed for: ‘/shares/username/olddisk/foldername/IMG_2858.JPG’

They were in backup folder with the content of some relatively successfully rescued HDD, with plenty of damaged files. Why must the WD My Cloud transcode all backup files and folders and stop on wrong ones??? Especially when all media functions are turned off?

After removing all bad files and restarting the My Cloud everything works well.

Which log file ? user.log ?

Why must the WD My Cloud transcode all backup files and folders and stop on wrong ones??? Especially when all media functions are turned off?

Those are good questions…

The answer to the first question is that it insists on creating thumbnails of images for use with the remote access tools; the thumbnails are nothing to do with the Twonky media server.

You can kill the thumbnailing process:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/Hidden-wdmc-directories-created-by-mcserver-and-photodbmerger/m-p/682091

1 Like

The correct log is    /var/log/wdmcserver.log 

Activate SSH on My Cloud, run putty, log in (root, welc0me - 0 is zero), change password and then use commands

cd /var/log

cat wdmcserver.log

or use then WinSCP to find and open or copy the log file.

tried reboot, reset, scan, update latest firmware…nothing works…capacity showing FREE while it’s actually like 60% full…

disappointed with WD support on this…