Dashboard problem - No info in Capacity usage

When I open the dashboard, I’ll get all system info except “Capacity”, which shows a dash.

If I click the arrow in the Capacity window, there’s no diagram, just a test: “Current usage of your system capacity.”

No info

I’ve tried this from two different computers at home (one with Windows 7 the other with Windows 8).

The same problem on both…

I really need to see my Free disk capacity.

Someone?

Or is there another way to check disk capacity?

/Peter Ö

Did you try to reboot your NAS? I have had the same issue, but a reboot fixed it.

1 Like

AT first, a reboot solved this problem, but not anymore.

I’ve rebooted the NAS yesterday. No capacity info after 6 hours…

/Peter

Same problem here. The reboot fixed it. I’m hoping that it will continue to work. Thanks for the help!

Powered down for the day. Powered up the next day and No capacity usage will come up again. Reboot and it made the capacity available again. Checked it later in the day and again the capacity is not available. Reboot and it fixed it again. Also noticed that my CPU usage has always been at 100% before reboot. After reboot CPU usage goes down to 0% to 40%. The 100% CPU usage is another problem I had been having fixed by the reboot.  I hope the rebooting does not mess up the system or files. Either way, I don’t think that this is kosher and WD needs to figure out a fix for both problems.

peswe wrote:

When I open the dashboard, I’ll get all system info except “Capacity”, which shows a dash.

If I click the arrow in the Capacity window, there’s no diagram, just a test: “Current usage of your system capacity.”

No info

I’ve tried this from two different computers at home (one with Windows 7 the other with Windows 8).

Someone?

/Peter Ö

Hi guys, we have passed this along to support.

jubei04 wrote:

peswe wrote:

No info

Someone?

Can we have a follow up on this , what the answer of the support for this ?

Any command we can run from the CLI when in SSH to restore proper capacity reporting ?

Just as an emergency workaround, open WDMyCoud in Windows Explorer (Networks) .  You should be able to see the folder sizes under the shares.  Have a calculator handy to add them up…  :laughing:

Loubie wrote:

Just as an emergency workaround, open WDMyCoud in Windows Explorer (Networks) .  You should be able to see the folder sizes under the shares.  Have a calculator handy to add them up…  :laughing:

That is the most useless answer I saw so far. Even with a smiley

I have the same problem, cpacity is just a dash in the user interface of mycloud.

Workaround: Use PuTTY or similar to ssh into the mycloud device. Login=root, passwd=welc0me (zero, not Oh).

The issue this command:

df -h /DataVolume/

df.png

Which further proves: The hardware is okay, the information is there, but the UI is unable to show it, and WD seems unwilling to fix it.

Try turning off both media servers and see if your unit starts to work much faster. I think the media servers are buggy and are taking up a lot of CPU resources and hanging up the device or causing the web interface to simply time out. If it fixes your issue, re-enable your media servers and see if performance drops off again.

My capacity is now being displayed on the home screen of the display. Maybe it has to do with the content scan: While the scan is incomplete you don’t get the capacity readout. Once the content scan status is “idle”, the capacity is being displayed. Just my guess.

I have the same issue, instead of capacity on the dashboard, it shows a “-”.

This issue was raised way back in MAY and it is now NOVEMBER and still it has not been addressed, even though the moderator says it is being looking into… sure it is. Unacceptable the amount of bugs and SLOW performance of this product. I’ve been a WD customer for over a decade but this is too much.

There is simply NO quality control anymore at WD.

I’ve had the same problem and the solution to re-boot the NAS and even power cycle the device does not fix the issue for me. I’ve been able to map a drive using Windows 7 like this X: \wdmycloud\Public. You do this from the tools menu in Windows Explorer and check the box for “reconnect at login”. Then you can right click the mapped drive in Win Explorer and select Properties. This will show you Used Space and Free Space and even a pie chart.

Here is what it looks like.

I like the drive but the WD software obviously lacks quality control since so many folks have the same issue.

I, too, have a dashboard which shows a “-” instead of the available capacity.  I have the lates firmware update, but it did not fix the problem.  I tried numerous reboots without effect.

Since, as an earlier commenter noted, it is possible to look at the shares and add up the usage and subract from 4T, I can find out how much space is left.  

But this seems really crummy.  

I first used a Western Digital drive replacing a floppy in the first Compaq we had in 1984 or 85.  I think it was a 10 meg drive and it worked great.

so come on guys.  Fix this stupid thing.

Same problem here. Simply a dash for capacity. Seriously, how hard can this be to fix WD?

Enable and start all services (e.g. wdphotodbmergerd, wdmcserverd…) solves the problem for me.

nogood wrote:

Enable and start all services (e.g. wdphotodbmergerd, wdmcserverd…) solves the problem for me.

You shouldn’t have to enable these services to show capacity, which should NOT be running when media stremaing is disabled, since they create thousands of hidden directories, waste valuable space, and cause the hard disk to unnecessarily grind away reducing the lifespan of the hard disk. These processes literally run non-stop for days, and that is not good for the hard drive.

C’mon WD, just release a firmware update that STOPS these processes when media streaming is disabled yet still shows the most critical item on the dashboard, REMAINING CAPACITY.

WDguru, you are right for sure.

On the Firmware Version  before (04.01.01-413) the capacity was shown on my dashboard. No matter if I disable the mentioned services or not.

I reset mine with the same problem. It didn’t work at first but then after 650MB had resolved over night it was fine.