DashBoard nor backup will recognize USB devices

I have a WD " My Passport Ultra" attached to my computer, but it is not recognized by either the Dashboard or the backup configuration browse function.

I also tried a Seagate Free Agent Go Flex and a USB thumb drive, neither were recognized.

Yes, my computer can see all three USB devices as well as the My Cound Mirror.

Help.

Hi arthurh,

Where are you trying to connect the My Passport Ultra?

Hi Peter,

I have attached the My Passport Ultra to USB ports attached to my computer. I have the MyCloud Mirror located in a different room and connected to my router.

I want the USB connection to my computer so I can remote (cloud) back up my photos and video, which I store on the MyCloud.

CrashPlan, BlackBlaze and others won’t allow me to back up a NAS drive directly, but they will allow me to back up USB connected devices.

Do I have to connect any USB devices directly to the MyCloud for them to be recognized? That would not be ideal.

Also, if you know of a simple solution and inexpensive solution that would allow me to back up MyCloud files through an offs-site service, I would be pleased to hear.

Regards,

Arthur

Hi arthurh ,

Well if you connect the My Passport Ultra to the computer and tried to backup My Cloud to the USB, it wont let you do that. Because, it will not give you the destination location as My Passport. However, you can connect the My Passport Ultra directly to your My Cloud device and create a USB Backup using the dashboard. You can also use the link:
https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=16540#NASUSB

I am having a hell of a time trying to connect to things on the WD site! Even the “Configuring USB Backups on a My Cloud” is not found on the website? What gives? I really need to be able to use those ports.

Thanks,
DL

Hello DL_Thomas,

Maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/support/case.aspx?lang=en