Darklight for SMP (Beta) - (UPDATED 9/10/2012)

Thanks for the replies chaps.  All is working well now.

I wasn’t clicking the “Spare Sheet” tab before selecting the TW No Cover Box template and as a consequence I was overwriting my original moviesheet.

Just a few further questions:

Is it possible to see the moviesheet from the folder view rather than having to go in to each individual movie folder?  All I see at the minute is the unfilled box, minus the year, director, genre etc.  It’d be great to scroll left or right through each movie and have the details show up.

Did I see someone ask here if they could have the thumbnail highlight (purple border) more noticeable?  That’s something I would like to see to.  I’ve gone in to the wrong movie a couple of times already because I couldn’t quite see which movie was highlighted.

I’d like to see the colours/shades be reversed for “Close” and “Skip to Desired Time”.  My brain expects the current selection to be highlighted in white and not appear greyed out.

Finally, is it possible to have the Darklight splash screen (if that’s what it’s called) changed to say “WD TV Live SMP” rather than “WD TV LIve Hub”?  I might have the wording wrong because I’m not near the SMP at present.

They’re the only little gripes I’ve got with this otherwise awesome theme.   

Apologies if these questions have already been asked. 

“Is it possible to see the moviesheet from the folder view rather than having to go in to each individual movie folder?  All I see at the minute is the unfilled box, minus the year, director, genre etc.  It’d be great to scroll left or right through each movie and have the details show up.”

No, metadata and backdrops don’t work presently with folders.  This is a firmware issue, and I suggest that if your movies are in DVD format to convert them to ISO.  If your movies are in some other format (mkv, mp4, avi, etc), I suggest that you don’t put each movie in individual folders, but rather put all movies of one genre in Genre folders.

“I’d like to see the colours/shades be reversed for “Close” and “Skip to Desired Time”.  My brain expects the current selection to be highlighted in white and not appear greyed out.”

Yes, this is something I’m aware of and will be corrected in up comming releases.

“Finally, is it possible to have the Darklight splash screen (if that’s what it’s called) changed to say “WD TV Live SMP” rather than “WD TV LIve Hub”?  I might have the wording wrong because I’m not near the SMP at present.”

Yes, this is also something I’m aware of, but is low on my list of things to do.  However, it will reflect being for the SMP when I get around to it and before the final release (remember this is still a beta, not a final).

Thanks again for the reply Tinwarble.  Had I have read this thread all the way through (which I now have) I would have seen that you’d already gone in to detail on there not being movie info for folders.  

I’ll do the unnatural thing (for me) and be patient until the final release comes out with all the little changes.  In the meantime I’m off to go get the genre thumbs. :smiley:

Hi  tinwarble, 

I know the theme is  in beta stage , just would like to point out that subtitle function is really delayed . With mojo and mochi the response is instant . Also with other two themes  you can actually see different language listed , but not with  darklight.

Not sure if you are aware of this !!!

thanks

The subtitle status delay is a known issue, this is because unlike with the default theme or Mojo, it is attached to the play bar instead of being a stand alone feature.  There is nothing that I can do about that other than change it back to the default way of being displayed, but that is something that I’m not going to do.

As for not being able to see different languages, I haven’t been aware of this and there is nothing that should prevent different languages from being displayed.  However, I wil look into this when I get a chance, but because I don’t use the subtitle feature much it may be awhile before I get to it.

Thanks for you input though.

TW

Hi

Thanks for the theme just read about it for the first time yesterday followed your guides and seems to be working great apart from one thing.

I have created all of the relevant files needed and tested with the Darklight test folder however when I try to display a moviesheet it sometimes displays the sheet in the background and sometimes the cover box, I have changed the display time to 5 mins as I realise they are semi-static however it still sometimes displays the cover in the background first and not the movie sheet.

Just wondering if someone can help as I must be doing something incorrectly.

Great thread, and it will be even better when i get it working properly :smiley:

A few questions if anyone can please help.

I have got  it mainly to work, as in about 50% of my films have {for some reason} just updated themselves, i only started searching about themes after i noticed a few of my films had got cover art from somewhere, and was also trying to find out why my WD TV Live kept on rebooting, and by accident came across this site. {glad i did}

Right i have followed, as best i can, Tinwarble’s great video {twice} but am having trouble with a few things.

1,  The films that are not showing up {with cover art} i have put through ThumbGen and found the covers etc, and i can now see them when i start up my smp, but for some reason i get the cover art that i have created in ThumbGen but it then gets overlayed by another picture, so that the writing is sort of like double vision, what i mean is, the films that sorted themselves out, come up and display a front cover on the left of my screen, then in the centre of the screen is the info about the film but just on a background picture, then i have the other picture {that i generated in ThumbGen} underneath it?  do i just delete some files? or do i start again?

2,  This is probably a daft question but, On the setup screen if i go  to appearance, user interface themes, i have one folder called Mochi {default} do i need to change this somehow?

3, Now bearing in mind i am a complete noob {only just been allowed near electrical stuff with flashing lights :smileyvery-happy:}  on the first page, where you say :

To install the theme, download the zip file to your PC, open your web browser (I don’t recommend using IE9, there have been issues), then type your SMP’s IP address to open the Web UI.   Type in your password (the default is “admin”), click on the box next to “I accept”, then click on “Appearance”, then click on “Browse” and navigate to where you saved the “Darklight.zjp” file, then click on “Open”.

Click on “Submit”, then once the Web UI finishes uploading the theme, on you SMP press “Setup” on your remote, select “Appearance”, then select “User Interface Themes”, select “Darklight” then when prompted select “Apply theme”.

Now that part goes straight over my head lol, any help here would be great, as long as its kept simple :smiley:

4,  When i go back onto my media library after updating a few more covers, sometimes it will come up with the right amount of films, then other times it will say that there are loads less than what there should be, there are about 450 films on my hdd, sometimes when it comes on {after updating media info} it will say like 292 {i think that is the amount with cover art} then the next time it will say there are {on the video folder} 35 new, but when i go into my folder it will say there is only about 80 movies altogether?  anyone else had this problem? 

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help sorting these few things out., and i hope this post makes sense to at least one person lol

Ok, so first, if you haven’t done #3, then nothing is going to work correctly anyway because you haven’t installed the theme. Also, no you don’t do anything with the default (Mochi) theme, and you couldn’t anyway.  The default theme is built into the firmware and can’t be changed, deleted or altered in any way.

So, back to the main issue, your #3 question, and I’ll try to walk you through it best I can.  First, if you are using IE9 (Internet Explorer 9), then I recommend you download and install either Firefox or Google Chrome to install the theme.

Next, on your SMP, press the Setup button on the remote, then select “About”.  Then next to “Network info” you will see a set of numbers, this is your IP address of the SMP (that is assuming you have the SMP connected to your network), write it down.  Now go to your PC and open Firefox or Google Chrome and in the address bar type in the IP address that you wrote down and press enter.  This should take you to the WDTV Live logon page, type “admin” in for the password, click the box next to “I accept” then click on Login.

Now you should see a new page, on this page will be the text “Appearance”, click on the text and you should see a new type text box appear that says “User Interface Themes”.  On this box click Browse, and then navigate to where you downloaded and saved the Darklight.zip file.  Click on the .zip file and then click on Open, then click on Submit.

You should then see a box appear that says “Please wait” with a little thinking circle going around.  Once it gets through uploading the theme to the SMP, you should see a Congradulations message.

Once you see this, you can then go back to the SMP and you may or may not see the Darklight theme.  Whether you do or don’t, go ahead and press setup on the remote, then select Appearance, then you should see 2 themes, the Mochi theme and the Darklight theme.  Select the Darklight theme, then press OK, you wiil then see the theme Apply screen, just go ahead and press OK again.  Now the theme should be loaded on the SMP and you should be ready to go.

Once you have this done, then see if you are still seeing the same issues and we’ll take it from there.

The Theme looks great however is there a way you can turn on the Subtitle? It defaults to off. Don’t know where to click for this???

Just press the Subtitles button.  It will not display the subtitles but it will change them.

To see what subtitle you are selecting, press the OK button first to pull up the play bar, then press the Subtitle button, then press the OK button again to close the play bar.

Thanks I will try that…

I was just wondering if there is an ETA for the Release version of this theme???

Nope, I work on it when I can and when I get a certain amount of things done I update it.   But when I will have a final release, it’s just when it gets done.

Cheers for your help Tinwarble, managed to sort that out easy enough :smiley:

Have also managed to sort number 4 out {films dissapearing} for some reason it kept opening up on my media library instead of local storage.

Still seem to be getting anything that i generate in ThumbGen overlayed with a different picture after about 5 seconds {so there are 2 artworks on top of each other}

In ThumbGen, if i look at the movies on the left hand side, the ones that have got artwork that was generated automatically have just a movie reel symbol next to them, the ones that have been generated in ThumbGen have a movie reel, a jpeg file, and a metadata symbol, all these ones get another artwork overlayed on them when i try to view them. do i need to turn something off somewhere to stop it getting the other artwork overlayed on to it? {hope you can understand that last bit}

Yeah, I’m not really sure what you are trying to say.

If you’ll post a pic of your screen it might help me sort out what’s happening more than if you try to explain it.

If you want a quick response though, you’ll need to upload the pics to another site, like Flickr, because it takes a while for the moderators to approve your pics posted here and no one will be able to see them (except you) until they get approved.

hey tinwarble,

I have read practically all your post on this forum from HUB to SMP , you must be the most Humble SMART  guy  i  have seen in a long time .

You are never rude or arrogant , so patient , you take the time to response to everyone .

Thanks for alll your help , keep up the great work.

Tinwarble thanks for all your help on this, much appreciated, i think i have sorted out what was happening regarding the picture overlay thing, the problem was there were a few films coverwork generated through ThumbGen using the default ThumbGen Template instead of using the Darklight_Sheet, so when i was viewing my films the coverwork generated with the ThumbGen template {with the film synopsis on}  then the film synopsis was then generated again {through the internet i think} while viewing the film covers on my WD {hope that made sense}

Right, i have another problem now lol

One of the movies that i generated covers for through ThumbGen was the movie “Arthur”

Now for some strange reason, EVERY film that has had coverwork done through ThumbGen, also has the coverwork for Arthur as well? i have deleted ALL the Arthur files {that i can find} but for some strange reason this bloody Arthur cover art still shows up on every film lol 

I have got show hidden files showing in my settings, but even after loads of searching i can’t find anymore files relating to Arthur?

Would it be easier to just delete all the hidden folders, and other files, and start again? or is there a quicker way to find it?

Much appreciated with any more help.

Well, I’m glad to hear that you have at least part of it sorted.:smileyvery-happy:

Ok, so lets make sure that you have eveything you need first.  So for each file you should at the minimum have:

movie name.mkv (or what ever your movie extension is)

movie name.jpg (cover art)

movie name.xml (meta data)

movie name_sheet.jpg (moviesheet)

You should also have:

movie name.tgmd (but this is not necessary, as it’s an internal TG file)

You should also NOT have any:

movie name.metathumb (if you do, delete these because they take precedence over the .jpg coverart files)

So, if you are this far along so far, then the first thing you need to try is to clear the media library.

Press Setup on the remote, scoll to & select System, then select Media Library, then select Clear Media Library, & select OK.  Then press the HOME button.

Once the SMP gets through compiling the media library, check to see if you are seeing the same issue.

If you are, then we’ll try something else.

Bump for Update (6-12-12)

Hi Tinwarble, sorry it took so long to get back to you, just deleted hundreds of those metathumb files {my eyes feel like they are bleeding lol} 

Deleted all the metathumb files, cleared media library but the “Arthur” cover work still shows up whenever i click on a movie that has been generated through ThumbGen, it comes up with the right artwork for about 5 seconds and then the artwork for the movie “Arthur” seems to display behind it {even though i deleted every file relating to “Arthur”}

It seems as though somehow ThumbGen is saving that cover art and putting it in any other cover art that i now generate?

Also, dont know if it has any bearing on the problem or not, but whenever i create any cover art in ThumbGen, then press generate, i get a message saying “The given path’s format is not supported” it then comes up after and says the file was created?