Damaged wd20ears

Hello, We have a damaged hard disk (WD WD20EARS) that was sent to Ontrack data recovery company but after some time the result was as follows: --------------- Please be advised that the engineers have now finished the diagnosis stage of our service and unfortunately after allot of hard work we are not able to recover the data on this hard drive due to the severity of the damage.   The clean room engineer has ascertained that the media has internal mechanical failure. This is a failure of a moving component or a bearings seizure, which is preventing the media from initialising.     The media has suffered media corruption. This affects the magnetic information stored on your drive and can affect both the data (files) stored and also the logical structures. Despite using all of Ontrack’s proprietary tools and techniques, as well as replacement parts, no data can be recovered as it has been overwritten/ corrupted. And severe electronics failure.   Electronics failure is a failure of one or more of the device’s internal and/or external electronics circuits. Despite using all of Ontrack’s proprietary tools and techniques, as well as replacement parts, no access could be gained to the media due to the severity of the damage.Despite using all of Ontrack’s’ proprietary tools and techniques, as well as replacement parts, no access could be gained to the media due to the severity of the damage. -------------------------- Do you think there are companies that able recovery my data ? Help. Help .help I lost my job !

AFAICS “a failure of a moving component or a bearings seizure” can be fixed with a head swap or platter transfer. That’s the kind of thing that a professional data recovery shop does as a matter of course.

Electronics failure can also be fixed with a board swap or a head stack replacement (in cases where the preamp is damaged). In fact I’d like to see the “severity of the damage” to your PCB.

As for “media corruption”, unless it is due to a head crash or environmental damage (fire, water, etc), or if a damaged preamp has trashed the embedded servo information, then such corruption should be recoverable. At least that’s what my observations at HDD Guru would lead me to believe.

ISTM that Ontrack’s problem report has the feel of a standard “boiler plate” response. There is really nothing too specific about it.

That said, Ontrack is recognised as one of the best, if not the best, data recovery labs, so your prospects do look bleak. :frowning:

Can you tell us the symptoms? Does your drive still spin up? Any bad noises? Any visible damage? Did you drop it? Overvolt it?

1 Like