CVE-2021-3310 details

Hi,

I see following change was done in firmware 5.10:

Resolved an issue that allowed SMB and AFP shares to follow symlinks. Configuration changes were also made to a few files to prevent unprivileged users from accessing them.(CVE-2021-3310)

Could you comment on what exactly was done and how its gonna work with 5.10+ version?
My concern is that I’m currently using symlink from one share’s subfolder folder to another share’s subfolder and don’t want to lose this functionality after firmware upgrade.

I for one am glad it is fixed

AFFECTED PRODUCTS MyCloud PR4100
VULNERABILITY DETAILS This vulnerability allows remote attackers to disclose sensitive information on affected installations of Western Digital MyCloud PR4100. Authentication is not required to exploit this vulnerability.

The specific flaw exists within the SMB and AFP services. By creating a symbolic link, an attacker can abuse the service to read arbitrary files. An attacker can leverage this vulnerability to disclose information in the context of the service account.|
|ADDITIONAL DETAILS|Western Digital has issued an update to correct this vulnerability. More details can be found at:
https://www.westerndigital.com/support/productsecurity/wdc-21002-my-cloud-firmware-version-5-10-122|