Custom Firmware Questions

So I’m wondering how many of you guys are using custom firmware for your WD SMP.

I feel that I’m finally getting a handle on using the stock firmware for my device - being that I don’t get to use it often, and I’m new to media players. This is my first one.

1.) Can flashing the SMP with custom firmware brick the device even if done properly? I am usng stock firmware - 1.03.07i

2.) Is B-Rad WDLXTV_LIVE-0.4.1.9-6 the latest firmware version, and is it the best custom firmware out there?

3.) I’m mainly wanting to get Lstar337’s Split Sheet Movie Sheets working.   http://www.wdtvlive.net/showthread.php?812-Lstar337-s-Split-Sheet-v3.0-Movie-Sheets!So it does not matter to me which firmware I use as long as I can get the sheets work.

4.) Is this easy to get working? I read for some It’s easy, and others It’s a nightmare. I would be willing to put in the time if there’s no major issues associated with the firmware flashing.

5.) Also being that you have a custom firmware, you shouldn’t update the stock firmware when a new version is available as that would overwrite the custom? What if there are important bug fixes for the stock, but not for the custom?

6.) Is getting custom firmware working still a matter of putting files on a USB stick - Inserting the stick into the SMP and installing it from there - and doing a hard reboot on the SMP? By ‘hard reboot’ I assume powering the device on/off.

That’s it for now. Help appreciated.

That firmware is not compatible with the WDTV Live SMP.   It’s only for the Live and Live+.

Ugh, foiled.

Is there a firmware that will work for the SMP so I can use Lstar337’s Split sheets?

They look so much better than the stock GUI it would be a travesty not to be able to use them. >:(

None that I know of, but there are several custom THEMES that support movie sheets with stock firmware.

Darn ok.

Where do I find the custom themes for the SMP?

Are there any as nice as Lstar’s?

WDLXTV is a very time consuming, freeware, open source hobby project.

WD has encrypted many critical sections of the WD Live Streaming box; therefore, do not expect any custom firmware development for the WD Live Streaming box.

Well that makes me sad.

I like to  tinker with this sort of thing.

So where can I find the SMP custom themes that support movie sheets with the stock firmware?

Mojo runs well on the SMP

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Discussions/Mojo-for-the-SMP-Updated-11-09-11/td-p/287022

Some people have had some success with Aeonish from the Live Hub themes section. I’m running that, but can’t get one of the views to look even remotely good.

There was a new one that came out recently that I was going to give a go. http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Discussions/Alaska-Theme-for-WDTV-Live-Streaming-for-firmware-1-04-12/td-p/326387

Overall though there is much more theming activity on the Hub. You can try any hub theme on the SMP, but it’s very hit and miss as to whether they will work, and which version of the firmware they’ll work with.

Thanks ;- )

Mojo looks nice…

Maybe I’ll give that a go.

Do I need to install it via the web interface for the SMP -

Or can I just load the zip file on a USB thumb drifve - plug it into my SMP and install the theme that way?

Fennec,

Are you trying to work with moviesheets that you’ve already created? Or are you willing to create new ones? For example, the Thumbgen Mojo guide says that you can only use the specific templates if you are using the Mojo theme.

I have 400+ moviesheets (and supporting files) that I’d rather not re-create, though I don’t mind any creative batch renaming of files. I posted a topic in the forum and hope to get an answer. Just an FYI if any answers I receive might be helpful to you.

No - I have not created any movie sheets yet.

I would use the templates for the Mojo theme.

I’m confused by your post actually.

._.

I was checking out the Mojo thread - Did a recent firmware update break Mojo for the SMP?

Sorry if I was confusing…

I was just trying to see if you were just starting out and will be creating all brand new moviesheets based upon the “limitations” of not being able to flash custom FW…OR if you were like me and had already created moviesheets (based upon Lstar template in your case) that you were trying to use.

I have 400+ sheets created with a different template (dont’t remember which) for my WDTV Live Plus using WDLXTV. I was hoping to keep using these if at all possible, and I posted a thread asking about this. I thought it would benefit you as well if you were in the same position, but it appears that you’re not.

Hope that helps. Cheers. 

natebetween wrote:

Sorry if I was confusing…

I was just trying to see if you were just starting out and will be creating all brand new moviesheets based upon the “limitations” of not being able to flash custom FW…OR if you were like me and had already created moviesheets (based upon Lstar template in your case) that you were trying to use.

I have 400+ sheets created with a different template (dont’t remember which) for my WDTV Live Plus using WDLXTV. I was hoping to keep using these if at all possible, and I posted a thread asking about this. I thought it would benefit you as well if you were in the same position, but it appears that you’re not.

Hope that helps. Cheers. 

Yeah I feel your pain. Created a ton of sheets for my HUB and it would be nice if they worked with this.  I don’t want to change mine either.