Creating backup jobs no longer working after FW 1.05.21

Hi,

I updated my Mirror to 1.05.21 and I can no longer create backup jobs. I select USB Backups → Create Job, click Browse for source or destination, select the appropriate source/destination folder, hit OK and … nothing. The file browser closes but the link to the selected folder does not appear in the editbox. I tried it on Chrome, Safari and Firefox, no success. Anyone else experiencing this issue?

We have passed along this information to support.

Regards,

2 Likes

Thanks a lot. Do you know if there’s a link where I can follow the progress of this issue and maybe get an ETA? This is very important to me and breaks some of my most common use-cases for this device to the point that I’m considering returning it (I just bought it about a week ago). Thanks again.

Ice_2k wrote:
Thanks a lot. Do you know if there’s a link where I can follow the progress of this issue and maybe get an ETA? This is very important to me and breaks some of my most common use-cases for this device to the point that I’m considering returning it (I just bought it about a week ago). Thanks again.

Under Options at the right of your post, you can subscribe to this thread and you get email notifications when other posts come in.  Due to the fact that this is just a beginning investigation, it may take a while for us to get back here.  However, someone will be in touch with you soon to get more information.

1 Like

Ok, thanks. 

I got an email from someone at support, so its great to see things starting to move so fast. Hopefully they’ll be able to give me a workaround or get the relevant info to the developers so they can release an update.

If anyone is interested, he’s how the problem looks like (I used Internal Backups because they don’t involve an external USB drive and so narrow the problem down. The issue is identical for any type of backup):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR3TI6OZ2kM

I looked at your YouTube video. I still am running the previous firmware, but I noticed something slightly different in the new firmware’s folder selection interface for backup jobs (in your video) - that now there is a checkbox next to the folder name. Shouldn’t you be selecting the checkbox to check the folders you want to backup first before clicking Ok? It does not look like you are doing that. Could that be the reason why your selected folder name is not showing up in the backup job’s Source Folder box?

3 Likes

:))))))) I literally cannot believe this :))) You are correct. I was just doing it like I did in the previous firmware so I didn’t even notice the new checkboxes. Great catch, you saved me from ssh-ing all day long to copy files :smiley:

Thanks for this thread. Not in a million years would I have figured out that those little squares were checkboxes!

I showed this to a colleague of mine that also has a Mirror and he also didn’t see the checkboxes. Maybe there’s a small usability problem here.

Hi everyone, 

I’m correctly selecting both source and destination checkboxes but still the destination path is not showing after I click OK.

The odd thing is that even without the destination path I’m able to click “Create” and to see the wait popup of backup job creation but eventually no job is created.

Could you please help me?

Thank you,

Daniele

I tested this on the new firmware and it worked fine for me. Even though it didn’t show up properly, did the backup complete successfully? Also, did you try using a different browser to see if that works.

On latest version of firmware, and I can not select source folder on USB drive as described in this thread using checkboxes or not.  Is there a resolution to this issue?   Tried different browsers, etc.  Dead in the water again.

it’s the same on my EX4, I cannot creat a backup job because the destination folder remains empty…

I had similar issues with mycloud mirror after getting to f/w 1.05.30. I couldn’t see source or destination folders on internal or external drives for backup jobs.  WD told me to return the unit under warranty so I did. I thought WD was good stuff until now!  I have a new unit, less than a week old and is now doing the same thing at this f/w version.  However, I have done some testing at this f/w level; I can see a WD My passport 320GB drive, about to test a 1TB WD destop drive but the Seagate 2TB desktop expansion drive which I used to be able to see with the old mycloud mirror on an earlier version of f/w is still not detectable (should have tested this before before I updated the f/w!).  Once I have all the data fully restored and backed up to another device, I will restore the new unit back to factory defaults and then record what I can see, cheers.

I’m having this same issue. Is there a solution? I’m a new user, I installed my EX2 2 weeks ago. NAS to USB, after check ing boxes, no source shows up in the WD destination box. I can’t find anything that say “USB Backup Jobs” to click the start arrow as the help page suggest. By the way I’m a newbe at this NAS stuff.

Thanks

Aussie-Warrior wrote:

I had similar issues with mycloud mirror after getting to f/w 1.05.30. I couldn’t see source or destination folders on internal or external drives for backup jobs.  WD told me to return the unit under warranty so I did. I thought WD was good stuff until now!  I have a new unit, less than a week old and is now doing the same thing at this f/w version.  However, I have done some testing at this f/w level; I can see a WD My passport 320GB drive, about to test a 1TB WD destop drive but the Seagate 2TB desktop expansion drive which I used to be able to see with the old mycloud mirror on an earlier version of f/w is still not detectable (should have tested this before before I updated the f/w!).  Once I have all the data fully restored and backed up to another device, I will restore the new unit back to factory defaults and then record what I can see, cheers.

Sounds similar to my problem. After a power-fail of my WD-MyBook 3.0 format without disconnecting it before in the dashboard  I could see it as a USB-Device, but could not see it as a share or as a networkdrive in windows.

I gave that problem to WD-support. As I could not solve the problem by updating the firmware of the MyBook, the only advice WD gave me, was to reformat the external HDD. I asked twice, whether this was the only choice, they told me that it was. Another user in the German WD-Community, who has a single-bay WD My Cloud, told me, that that had happened to him already three times. Also WD told me that acces to the USB-Drive can be lost by disconnecting without shutting it down correctly even when the drive works fine in connection to a PC.

A second USB-HDD still was available as a backup-drive.

So I deleted all data and resetted the drive. Since then I shut down the drive every time and start it only before a want to do a backup. That way i cannot use the drive for different purpuses.

in my eyes such things must not happen, and improvement of the firmware is required urgently!

So my advice is to tell the problem to the support team. If they don´t react properly and improve the firmware in a adequate time, tell the problem publicliy e.g. in internet forums or to computer journals.

Greetings,

WeinFranke