Creating a my book live safepoint on a windows share

I’m trying to create a safepoint on a windows share; all worked fine before, but now it doesn’t; what changed is a firmware upgrade, if I’m not mistaken.

everything worked ok, until the unit tries to mount the windows share. after quite some investigations, I found that the error is

mount error(12): Cannot allocate memory
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)

I tried to follow some registry changes suggested by others that have faced the same problem while mounting windows shares under various *nix distros, but nothing changed.

Just to be clear on the matter : it worked with a previous firmware, but it no longer does with the latest update.

Any help is appreciated, since I need to create a safepoint on a USB drive attached to a windows box.
Thanks !

Hi,
The last firmware version 02.43.10 - 048 was release on (6/22/2015), what firmware are you running?

Have you tried resetting the drive and trying that again?

Yes, it’s the latest firmware (MyBookLive 02.43.10-048 : Core F/W). Tried resetting the drive several times.
There is another strange issue : the drive shows that it cannot connect to the internet lately, but I cannot link this to any other event.

When the problem started, I looked in the system logs to find more relevant information, as the webapp just tells me it cannot connect. That’s how I found the mount issue. Then I tried running it from the shell like this :

smbmount //192.168.0.89/X /media/WDSAFE/***** -o user=backup,password=***

which gives me :

mount error(12): Cannot allocate memory
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)

… and the same error is in the system logs.

The frustrating part is now knowing more about this error.
Some googling points to references where memory issue is managed on the Windows side, but it sounds like a strange approach, even if many users report it works (for general linux distributions, not WD OS)