CRC Errors

I’ve got a notebook computer with 2 drives in it. The first bootable drive is an SSD Drive and the 2nd data drive is a regular hard drive. When I create new files and try to manually copy using Windows Copy & Paste function in Windows File Manager to a 3rd drive that’s an external network backup drive. I’m getting error messages on some of the files I’m trying to copy over saying, “Can’t read from source file or disk”.

I have Windows 8 Professional. I tried running error checking, but it tells me there is no errors. I read online that there should be 2 options under error checking called, “Scan Drive” and, “Scan & Repair Drive”, but only Scan Drive comes up and that says there is no errors after only running for a few seconds. Why isn’t the option for Scan & Repair Drive coming up? Does WD have software I can install to check the hard drive? I can’t find anything on there website.

I checked my Windows System Logs and there is a bunch of warnings that say, “The IO operation at logic block address xxxxxxxxx for Disk 1 was retired.” Disk 1 is my regular hard drive.

I’m also trying to use Cobian Backup to backup my whole hard drive to another folder on the same network backup drive and that’s giving me error messages too, but only on the large files I’m trying to copy, “ERR Couldn’t copy the file “xxxxxxxx” Data error (cyclic redundancy check).”

So, I don’t know what to do at this point. Is my hard drive going bad & I need to replace it? I want to do a surface scan to check for bad sectors but Windows 8 isn’t giving me the option to do that. Am I just getting bad sectors on these files I’m creating and that’s why I can’t copy them and I just need to delete them and re-create new files? 

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Hi you can try WD data lifguard program you can find it here.  http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=702&lang=en   . You may want to give Hard Disk Sentinel a try it is better, with it as soon as it starts it checks the drive and you can see the smart data on the drive.

No, I couldn’t find any WD diagnostic software program downloads from their website. Thanks. I’ll download WD Data Lifeguard software & also Hard Disk Sentinel and see what they say when I run them.

My SSD drive is an Intel Drive and I’m running the Intel Solid-State Drive Toolbox software. I wonder if that’s causing the issues that I’m having with the WD HD? I just thought of that. Anyway, I used that software to check the WD Smart Details already & it’s not showing any errors that I can see.

Thanks so much for the info!

i agree whith Hammey

“Hard Disk Sentinel” is cool program

i also like a similar program that is just as popular called “HD Tune Pro”

HDS does more stuff but the other i think is bit more handy sometimes. BOTH can let you do a manual scan for errors on your drive which is why i mention this… load one of them and scan for errors… it will probably take a while but that will do a CRC error check on the data on the drives basiclly.

When you say windows logs do you mean the windows 7/8 event viewer ?

Maybe scan for errors first with the program Hammey mentioned though

WD diagnostic software

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=613&sid=3&lang=en

It will check your drive for errors and the program is free and runs in windows.

They also make a DOS version of the same program and i prefer that one but its harder to get running.

Yes, I did mean the Windows Event Viewer.

Well I ran the WD Diagnostic Software first and this is the results:

Test Option: QUICK TEST
SMART Status: PASS 
Test Result: FAIL
Test Error Code: 06-Quick Test on drive 2 did not complete! Status code = 07 (Failed read test element), Failure Checkpoint = 97 (Unknown Test) SMART self-test did not complete on drive 2!

Test Option: EXTENDED TEST 

SMART Status: PASS 
Test Result: FAIL
Test Error Code: 08-Too many bad sectors detected.

So, it looks like the HD is bad. Will it be worth running the other 2 software programs, “Hard Disk Sentinel” & “HD Tune Pro”? Can they fix these kinds of problems? Or, do I just need to replace the HD?  Thanks!