CrashPlan and My Cloud Drive

For anyone who is stuck on this, I finally got it working by following these instructions as stated earlier:

http://community.wd.com/t5/My-Book-Live/GUIDE-Installing-CrashPlan-for-MBL-Cloud-backup/m-p/561614/highlight/true#M21307 .  Then I found an armv7l (armhf) compiled version of libjtux.so here: https://github.com/downloads/swenson/jtux/libjtux.so which I stumbled upon from the comments section of this raspberry pi / crashplan tutorial:

http://www.jonrogers.co.uk/2012/05/crashplan-on-the-raspberry-pi/ .  That Jon Rogers link also has some info on changing out Java to increase the performance of crashplan (apparently significantly). 

So I have it working.  If anyone has questions on what I did, please reply.

Thanks mtvann for the info and congrats on getting it working.  I’m going to give it a try, but a few questions before starting.  

1. Did you install the latest version of Crashplan?  There is a note in the Jon rogers link saying to use a previous version that introduced some doubt.  
  2. Did you make any changes to Java per the other posts, or just follow the instructions exactly as in the MBL post?  
  3. Does Crashplan start automatically or does that need to be configured somewhere? 
  4. Did you backup any of the My Cloud configuration files before you started the installation?  

Thanks for your help!

Just chiming in on this topic also. I found this guide for installing Crashplan on My Cloud Drive which has been working pretty great. I have had a few issues where the Crashplan service on My Cloud would stop working and I would have to issue: /usr/local/crashplan/bin/CrashPlanEngine start -  via ssh to get it going again. This was during the initial backup of files which was around 100GB in size.

Now to figure out why my backups from the My Cloud Drive to Crashplan servers are not working…

@Rustybones - Thanks for the pointer to the guide.  With it I was able to get Crashplan installed and running.  My Cloud has been uploading direct to Crashplan’s servers for several days now without any hiccups.  

My only complaint is that the upload speed is rather slow.  Usually it is running at less than 1Mbps.  At one point I saw over 20Mbps but that didn’t last more than a few minutes and has not repeated.  My network connection is plenty fast so the bottleneck is either in the My Cloud or at Crashplan’s servers.  A link in the guide you referenced suggests that the version of Java makes a difference.  I’ve tried 1.6, 1.7, and even 1.8 all with very similar results so at least for me the version of Java does not make any difference in the speed.  

What kind of upload speed are you or others seeing?

@buchant - Which folder location do you set to backup up to CrashPlan Central. I ask because I have all my home computers backing up to a shared folder on My Cloud called Backups. I can navigate to this folder and see that there is about 100GB worth of data. But when I select the ‘Backups’ folder through the CrashPlan GUI to backup to CrashPlan central, CrashPlan tells me it’s on 1KB…

I’ve tried: nfs > Backups, shares > Backups, DataVolume > shares > Backups … all of them result in the same thing… 1KB :frowning: Any ideas?

@Rustybones  At the moment I’m backing up two shares.  /shares/Public and /shares/MediaLibrary which is a share I created.  There are around 50K files in MediaLibrary all seen by Crashplan (~400GB).   Are you using a backup program to backup your computers to the My Cloud.  It’s possible that Crashplan is filtering out your backup files.  This linkmay help.

Hmmm interesting, thanks for the link.

I’m using Crashplan on my home computers to backup to Crashplan running on the My Cloud, which stores that data in a folders called Backups. I then set CrashPlan running on the My Cloud to backup the “Backup” folder to CrashPlan central…

Maybe instead I need to make CrashPlan on the home computers backup to a network share stored on the My Cloud then make CrashPlan running on the My Cloud backup that network share.

Just curious how everyone is doing backing up their MyCloud network drive to crashplan. I see that there is a link in the first thread, but it may not be full-proof. Has anyone had success using any of these? 

http://givebacktoit.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/crashplan-on-netgear-nas-104-with-arm.html

http://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/Latest/Backup/Back_Up_a_Windows_Network_Drive

I ask so that I don’t waste time trying them :slight_smile:

Thanks!

@NYTerabyte - Follow the link in message #7 on the first page of this thread.  It worked for me.  I’m backing up directly from the My Cloud to CrashPlan.  The only complaint is the speed of backup is slow, around 800Kbps to 1Mbps.  I think the speed is limited by CrashPlan and not by My Cloud.  Don’t bother with the suggestions to use a different version of Java.  It made no difference in the speed of my backup.

1 Like

Sweet! Great tip! Thanks! Already installing! Very very important for me since it’s well over 1tb of pictures and videos and they were scattered all over USB drives and I totally misunderstood the MyCloud drive capability.

I’ll feel so much safer once the data is back backup up again… Back to installing! I’ll post my results! Thanks again!

I’ve been trying for 2 days to get this installed. The slow performance makes it nearly impossible. Is the drive’s system performance slow for all drives?

At what installation step is performance a problem?  There is no individual step that should take more than a minute.

It may help to turn the scanning processes off.  http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/Hidden-wdmc-directories-created-by-mcserver-and-photodbmerger/td-p/682091  

from the very first step. It literally takes up to a half an hour to run. Seems to serve up movies just fine without any issues, but working in the cli is painful. Load averages are always relatively at the numbers below

load average: 14.44, 15.85, 15.42

Stopping these services made no difference

/etc/init.d/wdmcserverd stop

/etc/init.d/wdphotodbmergerd stop

Top processes always seem to be the following:

PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND
7496 root 20 0 54588 22m 980 S 74.1 10.0 25:31.87 twonkyserver
7748 root 20 0 7776 736 464 S 34.4 0.3 3:11.61 wddispatcher
7802 root 20 0 11844 1000 392 S 16.4 0.4 1:04.55 wdnotifier
18070 root 39 19 1756 776 512 R 11.5 0.3 0:06.50 setfacl
17940 www-data 20 0 63408 11m 6544 R 10.2 5.2 0:02.88 apache2
17134 nobody 20 0 9072 1912 1172 S 9.5 0.8 0:46.48 smbd
17223 www-data 20 0 63468 11m 6176 D 8.5 4.9 0:43.29 apache2
18412 www-data 20 0 59444 6940 4672 S 5.9 3.0 0:00.18 apache2
17451 www-data 20 0 63408 11m 6456 D 2.6 5.2 0:09.84 apache2
17777 www-data 20 0 63312 11m 6112 S 2.6 5.0 0:06.96 apache2
18411 www-data 20 0 59424 6364 4196 S 2.6 2.8 0:00.18 apache2
18413 www-data 20 0 59184 5428 3640 R 2.6 2.4 0:00.08 apache2
17696 www-data 20 0 63400 11m 6008 D 1.3 4.9 0:05.09 apache2
18419 root 20 0 2548 1156 920 D 1.3 0.5 0:00.04 sudo
17365 root 20 0 2664 768 460 R 1.0 0.3 0:02.39 top
18417 root 20 0 2548 1156 920 D 1.0 0.5 0:00.03 sudo

Any ideas?

That looks very different from mine where nothing is over a few percent cpu except Java (CrashPlan running).  Sorry but  this is beyond my ability to help. Maybe someone else can offer some suggestions.

Thanks I’ll give that a shot!

So CPU loads are down and I’m attempting the install, but seems to be failing due to dpkg or some other issue. I’ve searched the net a bit, but cant seem to narrow down the problem. Any ideas?

MyCloud:/shares/Public/tmp/CrashPlan-install# sudo apt-get install openjdk-6-jre-headless
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
  ca-certificates-java icedtea-6-jre-cacao icedtea-6-jre-jamvm openjdk-6-jre-lib
Suggested packages:
  libnss-mdns sun-java6-fonts ttf-dejavu-extra fonts-ipafont-gothic fonts-ipafont-mincho
  ttf-wqy-microhei ttf-wqy-zenhei ttf-indic-fonts
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  ca-certificates-java icedtea-6-jre-cacao icedtea-6-jre-jamvm openjdk-6-jre-headless
  openjdk-6-jre-lib
0 upgraded, 5 newly installed, 0 to remove and 79 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/30.3 MB of archives.
After this operation, 78.4 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
Selecting previously unselected package openjdk-6-jre-lib.
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libssh2-1:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libxau6:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'liblockfile1:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libkrb5-3:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libwrap0:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libtagc0:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libcap2:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libglib2.0-0:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libgphoto2-port0:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libpng12-0:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libtalloc2:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libevent-2.0-5:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libedit2:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libldap-2.4-2:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libavahi-client3:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libgphoto2-2:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libtag1c2a:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'liblua5.1-0:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libpkcs11-helper1:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libpcre3:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libavahi-common3:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libsensors4:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libx11-6:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libnfsidmap2:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libbsd0:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libavahi-common-data:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libjpeg8:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libsasl2-2:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libcurl3:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libtirpc1:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libkrb5support0:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'librtmp0:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libpcap0.8:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libdevmapper1.02.1:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libexpat1:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libltdl7:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libkeyutils1:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libreadline5:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libantlr3c-3.2-0:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libasound2:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libxcb1:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libtdb1:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libxpm4:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libtag1-vanilla:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'liblzo2-2:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libogg0:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libfontconfig1:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libmagic1:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libk5crypto3:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libgssglue1:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libunistring0:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libwbclient0:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libfuse2:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libgssapi-krb5-2:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libparted0debian1:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libgd2-xpm:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libconfuse0:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libexif12:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libffi5:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libflac8:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libdbus-1-3:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libxml2:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libfreetype6:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libxdmcp6:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libpam-cap:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
(Reading database ... 25237 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking openjdk-6-jre-lib (from .../openjdk-6-jre-lib_6b27-1.12.5-1_all.deb) ...
Selecting previously unselected package ca-certificates-java.
Unpacking ca-certificates-java (from .../ca-certificates-java_20121112+nmu2_all.deb) ...
Selecting previously unselected package openjdk-6-jre-headless:armhf.
Unpacking openjdk-6-jre-headless:armhf (from .../openjdk-6-jre-headless_6b27-1.12.5-1_armhf.deb) ...
Selecting previously unselected package icedtea-6-jre-cacao:armhf.
Unpacking icedtea-6-jre-cacao:armhf (from .../icedtea-6-jre-cacao_6b27-1.12.5-1_armhf.deb) ...
Selecting previously unselected package icedtea-6-jre-jamvm:armhf.
Unpacking icedtea-6-jre-jamvm:armhf (from .../icedtea-6-jre-jamvm_6b27-1.12.5-1_armhf.deb) ...
Processing triggers for ca-certificates ...
Updating certificates in /etc/ssl/certs... 0 added, 0 removed; done.
Running hooks in /etc/ca-certificates/update.d....
done.
done.
Setting up openjdk-6-jre-headless:armhf (6b27-1.12.5-1) ...
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk-armhf/jre/bin/java to provide /usr/bin/java (java) in auto mode
update-alternatives: error: error creating symbolic link `/usr/share/man/man1/java.1.gz.dpkg-tmp': No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing openjdk-6-jre-headless:armhf (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 2
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of ca-certificates-java:
 ca-certificates-java depends on openjdk-6-jre-headless (>= 6b16-1.6.1-2) | java6-runtime-headless; however:
  Package openjdk-6-jre-headless:armhf is not configured yet.
  Package java6-runtime-headless is not installed.
  Package openjdk-6-jre-headless:armhf which provides java6-runtime-headless is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing ca-certificates-java (--configure):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of icedtea-6-jre-cacao:armhf:
 icedtea-6-jre-cacao:armhf depends on openjdk-6-jre-headless (= 6b27-1.12.5-1); however:

dpkg: error processing icedtea-6-jre-cacao:armhf (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of icedtea-6-jre-jamvm:armhf:
 icedtea-6-jre-jamvm:armhf depends on openjdk-6-jre-headless (= 6b27-1.12.5-1); however:

dpkg: error processing icedtea-6-jre-jamvm:armhf (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of openjdk-6-jre-lib:
 openjdk-6-jre-lib depends on openjdk-6-jre-headless (>= 6b17); however:

dpkg: error processing openjdk-6-jre-lib (--configure):
Errors were encountered while processing:
 openjdk-6-jre-headless:armhf
 ca-certificates-java
 icedtea-6-jre-cacao:armhf
 icedtea-6-jre-jamvm:armhf
 openjdk-6-jre-lib
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
LB4TBWD:/shares/Public/tmp/CrashPlan-install#

Sorry for the late reply buchant, I failed to check the “Emal me when someone replies” but to answer your questions:

1.  Yes I was using the latest version of Crashplan (3.5.3 at the time).  There has been a release since, but I have not updated it yet.  I’m going to wait until my 300 GB of data gets uploaded first.  It’s been about 6 weeks and is at 95%… PAINFULLY slow

1. I have not updated Java yet, still using OpenJDK 1.6.0_27.  I do plan to undertake that at some point.

2. I have configured it to start automatically after booting under /etc/rc.local by inserting this command: /usr/local/crashplan/bin/CrashPlanEngine start

3. I did not backup any configuration files on MyCloud, although I probably should have.  It would be good for WD to make their Mycloud OS available for users that attempt this, because it’s really easy to foul up your system.

The only thing I will add to this is that yes the procedures detailed here MyCloud Instructions worked up to the point of step 12, changing out the libjtux.so file.  The precompiled libjtux.so file in that link did not work for me, and compiling it on MyCloud was not an option because of the extensive library updates required to do so.  But the link to this libjtux.so file finally solved that issue for me… after days of meddling.  Anyway, looks like you already solved your issues, but I didn’t want to leave this hanging.

Hi mtvann,

Thanks for getting back!  I have given up on backing up directly from My Cloud to Crashplan because of the ridiculously slow backup speed.  The best speed I ever sustained was around 1.2Mbps but mostly it was around 400Kbps (often less).  I tried changing the destination server serveral times with no improvement.  I tried the newest version of Crashplan and tried different versions of Java, all with no improvement.  

The amount of data I was trying to backup is about the same as you.  When the projected days to complete moved to over 50 days I gave up.  Crashplan customer support was zero help.  They do not support the headless configuration and furthermore don’t support it running on an ARM processor.

Just a few days ago I connected an old Windows laptop to my network, mounted the My Cloud as a drive ( see here) and loaded Crashplan to back it up.  Now I’m getting 4-6Mbps so my data is projected to backup in less than a week in total.  I’m not thrilled with having the extra computer but at least it is a workable solution.  Also, the My Cloud is now a lot more responsive since it is not running Crashplan.  

1 Like

I gave up on CrashPlan on the device and went with the instructions in your link. This is working just fine right now.

http://blog.davidwarburton.net/2010/03/12/using-crashplan-to-backup-a-network-share/

Thanks!

If you are interested in detailed instructions you can try my new post.

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/GUIDE-Installing-CrashPlan-for-WD-My-Cloud-Cloud-backup/td-p/715488