Coverting internal drive to external

'I have a 250GB WD Scorpio Black internal hard drive that I purchased for a PC laptop (WD2500BEKT). The laptop died of other causes and I removed the internal hard drive before recycling the computer. I would like to convert this drive to an external drive by putting it in a case. I find numerous cases on line, but I cannot tell which ones will be compatible. I believe it is SATA compatible but not sure? USB 3 or 2? I’m thinking USB 3 with backward compatibility to 2. I looked for a spec sheet for the product but have not found one I found one for WD2500BEKX (as opposed to BEKT) would this have the same specs?. Lastly, The cases i see refer to a size of 2.5" or 3.0", is this referring to the width of the hard drive case or to the diameter of the disk in the hard drive? Is this the “Form Factor” shown on WD spec sheets? Thank you.

That is an ‘ancient’ WD Scorpio Black drive. Those predated SATA 6.0 Gb/s so at most they are SATA 3.0 Gb/s (SATA II) drives. The drive is a 2.5" (laptop size) vs the 3.0" (desktop size).

Most enclosures (for that disk size) SHOULD (I can’t guarantee any specific enclosure) work (the spec for SATA 6.0 Gb/s requires backward compatibility) but you’ll be capped at the slower speed- because of this, I’d personally go with USB 2 if it is any cheaper than a USB 3 enclosure.

As for why it’s not showing up on the support site - I will look into this and hopefully get something updated by next week. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Thank you for the information. I suspect it is so ancient because the computer store where I bought it put in a refurbished drive - probably to save me. I wonder… Anyhow, it says it is refurbished on it.

Thanks again. Very helpful.

Robert

Robert S. Garrigues
[Deleted]