Covers on WD TV Live

Dear all, im new in the forum and i just bought the TV live, so please be patience if i write stupidities…

Im very happy with the WD TV live i have all my DVD converted in in .iso fils, stored in an external drive connected to a laptop, the folder with movies is shared via the domestic wifi network… the TV live perfectly reads all iso files via wifi so everything is fine at least

There are some issues related to the covers i want to share with you:

1. for each movie i downloaded the jpg cover and renamed with the same name of the movie … in thumbnail mode the WD TV live duplicates covers and iso file so i have double “image” for the cover and iso file… i read some topics in the forum and it is a well known issue, the workaround is to create playlists or, at least, wait for a new firmware release…am i right?

2. sometimes some covers are missing even if i have the jpg file renamed like the iso file … why? currently i have 200 movies stored and around 20 of them are dispalyed in thumbnail mode without the cover… is anyone experimenting the same?

3. i found in internet the thumbge, look like fantastic in comparison with the very sad layout of the TV Live… is anyone also experimenting it? … there is somewhere a tutorial on how to implement it?

http://thumbgen.tk/index.php/menu-screenshots

1. last thing…while watching a movie (always iso files of dvd) it is only possible to go fast forward but is not possible to go to the next chapter of the movie (very useful if you watch the movie not in the very same moment) … i did not find anything in the forum on this topic, maybe somebody also can suggest some workaround if exists?

tks alot for any help or suggestion and sorry if i wrote some stupidities…:-)))

ciao hear from u soon

Andrea

Welcome to the forums.

1. Correct

2. Make sure both that your thumbnail is correctly named (Case is sensitive and spaces and/or special characters are a problem – best bet is to use Explorer and copy the movie name *exactly* and then paste to the thumbnail).  Thumbs usually need to be 70K or less, so make sure your problem thumbs aren’t too big.  And sometimes, just sometimes, there are problem ones that no amount of tinkering with can help.  Find a different thumb on the internet and use that instead.

3.  This is third party firmware for the Live – so you will need to download and install it (and, of course, support will be strictly limited to third parties and NOT this forum).  There are definitely lots of people doing this, but not on this forum (go to that WDTV Live Homebrew forum and ask).

1. When you are FF or RW you can press the skip forward or back key and go by 10 minutes at a time.

Tks alot mkelley,

very useful tips… i will follow them

just to close the circle:

i already try to copy and paste names from iso files to jpg files, but i did not know about the 70 kb rule… for sure most of my jpg files are heavier… i will reduce the size

about thumbgen… i will try, just a question: if i install the “3rd party” firmware and something goes wrong, can i come back and install the “original” firmware?.. you never know…

tks alot for ur help, hear from u soon

andrea

Thumbgen is not 3rd party firmware. Its just a PC program which gathers information on movies which can be installed on some players. Other than the actual thumbnails you will not be unable to use any of the other info without 3rd party firmware.

Yes you can go back to the official firmware if you do use 3rd party firmware.

Right, just to clarify, the “movie sheet view” you admire so much IS third party firmware.  Thumbgen, as Rich says, gathers information for use in it, but could also be used with the official firmware (but you won’t get those gorgeous screens you admire).

ok, what i understand is the following

thumbgen is a pc software which creates beautiful movie sheets

in order to run these moviesheets into the WD TV live you need to install a firmware not official

in any case if sometihing goes wrong is possible to re-install the original firmware

am i right?

tks alot again

andrea

1 Like

aurgolo wrote:

thumbgen is a pc software which creates beautiful movie sheets

Correct.

in order to run these moviesheets into the WD TV live you need to install a firmware not official

Correct.

in any case if sometihing goes wrong is possible to re-install the original firmware

Correct, unless the “something goes wrong” involves your device becoming “bricked” when trying to install the 3rd-party firmware, which I haven’t heard of happening, but isn’t impossible.

1 Like

:wink:

ok tks alot to all of u… i will try …and hope everything will be fine…!!!

keep u updated

andrea