Couple of questions

just bought a 1tb external harddrive from western digital. was hoping to get some answers cleared up.

my external hdd came with a usb 3.0 to usb 2.0 cord. if i get a usb3.0 to hdmi cord or adapter, would i successfully be able to stream my media from my external hdd to my tv? 

i’ve hooked it up to my tv already, but i’m assuming since it’s limited to usb 2.0 that that is the reason i can only display music \ photos right now.

and…

is there any way to install bootable software on a WD external harddrive? like a bootable media center that’ll boot up whenever plugged into a tv using a usb 3.0 to hdmi cord \ adapter?

thanks!

The only differences between USB 3.0 and 2.0 are speed and power consumption. You won’t get new features or options or new file compatibility with 3.0 you can’t get on 2.0, just a faster drive. if you can only see photos and music is because your TV is not compatible with the videos you copied, and that has nothing to do with USB.

You can install whatever you like into your drive, but if your TV doesn’t have an option to allow booting from USB drives and ignore the TV OS for whatever you have on the drive, then it won’t work.

I have not seen a single non-hacked TV doing that.