"Could not dial crawler socket"

Just thought I’d take a look at /var/log/user.log as I was passing thorugh SSH… I confess that I’ve rarely looked at the log files before…

Only to find the that it’s full of the following lines, every 10 seconds:

2016-08-17T19:51:28.865113+01:00 di=Oic2cwd40W notice restsdk[8690]: paths.go:49: Could not dial crawler socket at '/tmp/WDMCRequest.socket', error: dial unix /tmp/WDMCRequest.socket: connect: no such file or directory

Google reveals a number of previous threads (including ones where I’ve contributed…). But, barring rac8006’s suggestion of stopping the restsdk-serverd, I couldn’t find any resolution.

I’m sure that restsdk-serverd is doing something useful that I probably don’t want to stop…

Does anyone have any idea what’s going on, and what these messages are actually trying to tell me…? I suspect the errors are preventing my drive from sleeping, and errors usually indicate something isn’t right…

Gen1 4TB, v04.04.03-113

Not sure that the restsdk is doing anything useful. It came out when they released the sdk for the My Cloud. You would think that the tech people at WD would tell people how to stop this error message. But I suspect that they don’t even know what it is doing. There response would be to RMA the device. That seems to be their fix for everything.

RAC
PS I’ve had mine restsdk process stopped for a log time.

Thanks. Do you use remote access? I figured it might just provide services for that…

No I don’t. But a simple test is to stop the process. See if anything changes. I don’t think it will.
Still would be nice for WD to explain what this process is used for.

RAC

Well, it certainly seems to have shut the error message up (/var/log/user.log has gone quiet). I’ll see tomorrow if it’s had any negative effect on remote access…

I have restsdk-serverd stopped on my gen 1 v04.04.03-113 My Cloud and don’t seem to have any problems either locally or remotely.

Have the following entries in my /etc/rc2.d/S98user-start file to try and deal with the sleep issue. That file supposedly gets run at ever boot/reboot.

/etc/init.d/wdmcserverd stop
/etc/init.d/wdphotodbmergerd stop
/etc/rc2.d/S20restsdk-serverd stop
mount -o remount,noatime,nodiratime /dev/root /

If I remember right I though stopping either (or both) wdmcserverd and wdphotodbmergerd impacted searching in those programs/apps (mobile apps) that support searching for files in a folder.

Yeah, I’ve just uncommented the stop and mount commands I added to my user-start some time ago, but never activated, and added a command to copy my modified Twonky view-definitions.xml file (to recover from firmware upgrades trashing the Twonky installation).

The crawler apps do affect the mobile app, preventing search and view by media type, as well as thumbnails. I don’t miss those features much…

Thanks for the help, chaps.