Cost Free Alternatives to Network Shares

<<What needs to be “fixed” about this?  I and hundreds others have no problem using WDTV and network shares, so because you can’t get it to work, it need to be “fixed”?  Nope.  I and others have tried to help you get this going, and if you want to try again, start a new thread and see if others beside me come to your assist.  Network shares is NOT rocket science, because if I could eventually figure it out, likely anyone can. >>

Mike 

I am not knocking the box. It is a wonderful product in terms of codec support. However I use many different things to connect to windows network shared items (my blu ray), a Linux Laptop, my Smartphone, my tablet as well as my two Windows laptops and two Windows desktops 

I’ve never had any problems with sharing network items (losing passwords and ids, losing network shares) as I’ve had with WDTV.  I have set up my windows boxes with WDTV in mind (with no firewall software, no Windows Live, Network Advanced Properties set up as documented in the forum). 

So when I see that the only problems I have are only with WDTV and not with any other DLNA devices, a Linux Laptop, smartphones, tablets, two Windows 7 desktops and two Windows 7 laptops, I have to say that its the WDTV that makes Network Shares more tricky than any other platform.

I’ve never had any of these problems with either DLNA enabled (Blu Ray, TV, Ubuntu, Droid or other Win 7 devices).  I understand WDTV is not a Windows device (hence it uses Linux Samba Share technology) and doesn’t have to adhere to MS’s standards.  But its main user base includes far more Windows users than Mac or Linux users. So I have to put some of the onus on WDTV.

The thing that concerns me is that suddenly a box will have these network share issues (bad id password) without rebooting the WDTV or rebooting the ‘offending’ boxes. There is no set pattern I can figure out. 

I feel I have tried every option suggested and still see this pattern occuring. These solutions include

1. Resetting the WDTV box to factory standards

2. Setting firmware back which almost helped solve every problem

3. Powering off the box with both hot and cold reboots and rebooting the ‘offending’ machines

4. Setting up Windows Networking Advanced Options via WDTV Live Forum options

5. Insuring that the master browser is set as per  http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Networking/Troubleshooting-Windows-File-Sharing/m-p/92642#U92642

If there is a way to set up Win 7 shares without ID’s and passwords.  If that would solve the problem I’m game. Frankly I’m not sure how to do that. 

I’d love to get your help with this.  If you could tell me the diagnostic information you need, I would love to furnish it.  Please tell me the info and I will furnish it for a new topic.  

JRF