'Correct' procedure to replace a drive, and not affect SQL database etc

I want to replace one of the drives in my EX4 with a larger one, set up the exact same shares as currently exist, move the data from the current drive (JBOD) onto the new one and have everything going just as before, but with an extra 2TB. I have a few questions along the way:

What will the EX4 do if it’s turned on and one of the drives its expecting just isn’t there? Should I insert the new drive before or after power on?

Will a live ubuntu distribution be able to read all the data from the outgoing drive to copy back across? Or better still, if I put it into a USB3 enclosure, will the EX4 itself be able to read all the data if this was plugged into the back?

Where on the EX4 are things like SQL databases, installed apps, etc. stored? Can I back these up in any way?

You cannot use the extra capacity for another partition.

Who said anything about another partition? I have four drives, all JBOD; I want to swap out one of them for a different drive with 2TB more storage than there is currently. Set up the same share on the new one as on the old, and copy all the data back across.

Naf623 wrote:
I want to swap out one of them for a different drive with 2TB more storage than there is currently.
Set up the same share on the new one as on the old, and copy all the data back across.

And for what do you want to use the 2 TB?

four drives, JBOD : OK

swap one of the four by a bigger one : OK

“Set up the same share on the new one as on the old” : same location or same size?

Here I don’t understand your posting. If you are in JBOD, you have all disks running in single mode. So, if you exchange one of them with a bigger drive, then just use the bigger one.

Maybe I didn’t understand the initial posting…

Swapping out the drive is, of course, simple. I’m running 4TB now, I’ll be adding a 6TB. Currently that 4TB is a single volume, containing a single share, and I want the new 6TB to be a single volume containing a share of the same name, to which I will copy the contents of the share from the old drive. So effectively what I’ll have is essentiaqlly the same as I have now, just with 2TB more space to put stuff.

Can anyone tell me where apps are stored? Particularly PHPMyAdmin and the SQL database?

And also if a drive is removed from the EX4, put into a caddy, and plugged into the EX4s USB, will the EX4 be able to read the data from the drive?

The unit is a Linux system, so apps are where you would expect them to be. /bin and /usr/bin are the places to start, but you will see many redirects to busybox.

WRT you other question, if you are running any sort of RAID, mounting the unit externally would result in no usable data.  The unit would mount but that would be it.

1 Like

Everything is JBOD, so will it read the data just like connecting any other USB drive externally?

Are ./bin and /usr/bin on some internalmemory, or one of my installed HDDs, or how could I find that out via SSH?

The EX4 runs Linux, from ROM which is bootstrapped into a RAMdisk at boot up