Copying from Mycloud to Home

I have a 2TB MyCloud (gen.1) that has all my current stuff. I may want to go with a Home Duo so how do I get those folders/files copied over to the new Home server?

I would think the same way you would copy files and folders from one drive to another.

Before you buy a Home be sure to read through the posts here about the Home. It does not work the same way as the earlier My Clouds and some people are not happy about this fact.

Yes I see that. The fact that sharing or public folder not really supported is disappointing unless by sharing link

From what I have seen here, I suspect those with a My Cloud will be disappointed with the MC Home and would be better served by upgrading to one of the actual higher end WD NAS devices.

1 Like

I’m now looking at the EX2 Ultra

Good idea.

(I just fixed all my typos in above post of mine)

The answer to the question “Copying from MyCloud to My Cloud Home”

1. Drag and Drop via Windows Samba or macOS finder
  2. Network Import service of the My Cloud Home to import content from a My Cloud

Definitely give the network import app a try and let us know any feedback you have. It was specifically designed for migrating data from older My Cloud devices to your My Cloud Home.

Matt
My Cloud Home Product Team

Maybe you can expand on this. Is the Network Import a service that needs to be enabled on the Home? Maybe some documentation would help.

My preferred method:

1. Map W: to your old, legacy My Cloud.

2. Map X: to your new My Cloud Home.

3. Run robocopy from the command line:

robocopy W:\ X:\ /MIR /R:1 /W:1 /TEE /XJD /copy:DT /V /XA:SH /LOG:nas-2-nas.log

NOTE: you may need to adjust source and destination drive:path depending on your share, of course. such as “W:\Shared Videos”, you’ll need the quotes if there are any spaces. make sure you get the source and destination correct!

There is a video about this procedure.

Take a look at 1:05

I have an old my cloud 4GB device. I wanted to move a lot of folders/files over to WD MyclouldHome and because it has a lot of folders it is taking forever. I need a ‘faster’ way to do this.
I tried network import however, if the process was ‘half way done’ and then stopped, I can not continue this process nor can I restart it as it puts out an error if there is a ‘same folder’ or ‘same file’ name in the target. I have to create another new folder and change the previous folder to a different name. Basically, this process will not skip or overwrite destination folders/files.
I also tried to use the file app in my clould home. This app will also not overwrite or skip files/folders if I move a folder/file to another folder. Errors occur.
I have to use my pc file explorer or richcopy/robocopy to overwrite or skip destination folder/files. This process takes forever.
Why doesn’t the file move or network import overwrite or skip? Is there something that I am not doing right?

@rccolata I had the same issue.
Here’s what worked for me and my 3 TB of data.

• NAS to USB backup from my PR4100 to My Passport 4 TB
  • USB to NAS backup from My Passport to My Cloud Home Duo

NOTE: took about 48 hours to USB import into My Cloud Home. Most of my content is of family mobile phone pix and vids

1 Like

The MCH is a shocking piece of kit. Shame on me for not researching

2 Likes

I was trying to move files/folders from my old My Cloud to the new My Cloud Home. I used a USB Drive.
Signing into My Cloud in the web browser allowed my to see NAS to USB Backup where I could move by by copy over or update. When I moved the USB and connected to my Cloud Home. the web interface doesn’t see it.
I have to go to a mobile interface to ‘maybe see’ it. It says that a USB drive is connected (in Activity) and only gives the option to ‘Copy Data’. It says that it will let me know when it is done. I see a status of copying. If it stops/fails, or if I reconnect, sometimes I see status but most of the time I see the initial screen giving me the option to ‘copy Data’ and no indication that it is in process or it is done. Now it is giving me copying 1 file where I know that I have over 100G of data to 'move over. I don’t know if I can overwrite or update. The interface ■■■■■.
The web interface doesn’t show the USB drive in the file section.
There has got to be a better way and/or WD should fix this interface. Using the windows explorer is too slow and the file inteface is horrid. I only can upload to empty directories. If a file or folder is in the folder that I upload to, it gives errors.

What am I missing?

1 Like

I think this is what @socallinux attempted

• attach the USB drive to the My Cloud
  • perform a NAS to USB backup
  • download and install the My Cloud Home (not the My Cloud) Mobile app for Android or iOS (not iPad or Tablet)
  • Safe Eject the USB drive from the My Cloud
  • Connect the USB drive to the My Cloud Home
  • Open the Mobile App and start the USB import to the My Cloud Home

That is what I did. IN the android app, it may or may not have seen the
USB drive and displayed a usb drive is connected in the Activity section.
It is not an import. It says do you want to copy data from this drive.
AFter hitting okay, then I see inconsistent status as well as the note that
it is copying xxx files and it will let me know when it is finished. I
have never finished or saw a complete ‘signal’ and I don’t know how much is
copied nor if it is overwritten if files/folders are the same name. I am
trying to copy a little over 100G.

GOT IT!
We’re working on improving data transfer speeds in a future release.

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=19401

You’ll get a push notification in the mobile app when the copy completes.
As of today, there’s no timer or status indicator other than what’s presented in the mobile app when selecting USB Backup again.

1 Like

You guys have to make this better.
I was doing a USB copy data from a USB to my Cloud home.
Looking at the mobile app and activity/usb status,
I was copying about 120G. It was only at 30G after three days.
Today, I get this notice that you updated the firmware automatically.
after a day of waiting for the drive to recover, or migrate, as it says,
I have no status on the copy and I don’t know how much has been copied.
This is NO FUN!!!

1 Like

There is always room for improvement in many areas, but WD My Cloud Home (MCH) has improved in this area in ~3 years. Copied from a WD Easystore USB3 to MCH’s USB3 port reached about 109 MB/s and you can’t ask for much more than that from 2 consumer hard disks. 142 GB copied in less than 22 minutes. Firmware on the 4 TB MCH is 7.12.1-170.

MycloudWebappcopyto USB3externalspeed2021-02-09_204131