Copying files to the My World Book Edition White Light

Hi there,

I’m hoping the forum can help me with my question.

I have just purchased a My Book World Edition II White Light 2 x 2Tb. Purpose is for home use to provide (a) extra storage from my laptop (Dell, running Visat Ultimate Service Pack 2) on one drive, and (b) backup of the laptop on the other drive.

My questions are as folllows:

1. As a part of the additional storage use, I want to copy a group of files from my laptop to the network drive. There are approx 20,000 files. Is using the standard “copy” function in Windows the best way for so many files? I have done this already,   and it took approx 20 hours to complete and had some problems along the way (detailed later). I only did  a “copy” so the original files are still in their original location (as well as now on the network drive) - i did this as a cautious approach with the view of deleting the files in the original location if it all worked OK.

2. The “copy” process detailed as above did not  go smoothly. Some problems encountered were:

• occasionally I received a message that the “properties” for a file could not be copied and I was asked if I wanted to proceed with the copy anyway. Out of all of the files, this occurred about  10 times. It seems that these files won’t open in the new location although it appears that they are all there. Any ideas what this is about?

• Some files appear to have been copied OK, but when I try to open them, they will not open and provide a message saying that the file cannot be open, is corrupted etc. On a sample basis this has happened maybe 10% of times. A common element in each case seems to be that the file name contains non-english characters/foreign language characters. Any ideas what this is about?

Any suggestions on the above greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kerrod.

KerrodT, maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this. You can do so either by phone or email.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

Regards,