Copying Files to Dropbox

Ok, I am not sure where to post this. I am traveling and my plan was to offload my photos each day to my My Wireless Passport Pro, copy them to Dropbox and then reformat my camera card. The first step is fine. I know my photos are on the drive. I can see them and I can see the folders. My issue is getting them copied to Dropbox. I have it set up, I can see my Dropbox folders. I pick the folder and then I am not sure anything is happening. I am not getting and error message but the photos are not copied to Dropbox or, in one case two files of my selected files were copied. Is there a message when the process if finished or some kind of an indication that the photos are copying? I am connected to WiFi via the resort’s WiFi (I can see this in the Wireless Pro’s settings) which is spotty at best when I am trying to do this (when we get home for the day). I am very reluctant to reformat my camera card. I depend on redundancy. I am using an iPad Pro so I can’t store the photos on my device. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Posts in the My Cloud Home forum about an issue with My Wireless Passport

Sorry, it’s just really odd that you choose to post here instead of somewhere more related to your device. But anyway, there’s a couple reasons why this isn’t working. First, you say you’re at a resort and using their WiFi, is it the kind of place where you need to sign in and accept their terms and conditions or give your room number each time that you log in? Because if so, then that’s the first big problem: you can access the WiFi via your phone or iPad because you’re a human with thumbs, so you can interface with the website that comes up when you log in to the resort’s WiFi. Your Wireless Passport Pro is not human and it does not have thumbs, so when it connects to the WiFi it also is met with that same website but it has no way of interfacing with it. And while you may be able to connect to your device via your WiFi-connected phone, that doesn’t necessarily mean that your device has the same clear path to the internet that you do. Since it has it’s own little computer in there, you kinda have to think of it like a separate user, but no thumbs or a screen or keyboard, It literally just knows it’s supposed to send or receive files when it receives a certain signal from your phone or computer. Now maybe it was able to enjoy a few seconds of the full WiFi connection, when it initially connected to a network, which would explain the 2 files that were copied.

As for a solution, well is there any reason why you can’t just upload them to your Dropbox via your phone or iPad? I mean once you get them off your camera card, which can either be done via USB to a computer or inserting the SD card into a computer or a mobile adapter or even by sending them to your devices via WiFi or Bluetooth if it has that capability. Once they’re on your phone or iPad then you can just upload them with the Dropbox app that I’m sure you have on at least one of them. I mean, you say you can’t store the photos on your iPad, but you’d only be storing them there for a few seconds or minutes at maximum. As soon as the files come in you can immediately upload them right out. If you wanted to add an extra couple steps you could import them via the Documents or Files apps on your iPad and then sync them over to Dropbox within those apps too. Ironically, there’s no need for the Wireless Passport Pro to even be in this equation. Hope this helped.

Hi, I believe my first sentence said “Ok, I am not sure where to post this.” So I was already unsure this was the correct forum. It would have been a great help if you had told me the best place to ask my question. Please let me know where that might be and I’ll repost there. I am not as familiar with the forum as you might be. When I finally got home I again tried to download to Dropbox through the My Cloud app and even on my very fast WiFi it took forever and I let it go. I ended up manually moving the photos to Dropbox, but still, within the My Cloud app there is nothing to indicate that the files are copying or if anything at all is happening. I do have to use the My Cloud app with the My Passport Wireless Pro to connect to Dropbox. It is a two step process 1) load photos from card to MPWP and 2) use the My Cloud app connect and copy to Dropbox. That is initially why I posted here. It says “My Cloud Home.”

As to your “As for a solution, well is there any reason why you can’t just upload them to your Dropbox via your phone or iPad?” There is no camera card slot or USB connection on either my iPhone or iPad. I believe that is the whole purpose of the My Passport Wireless Pro - to get the photos off my card and onto hard drive storage. It is just that I have been through enough hard drive crashes to know not to trust them. That is why I wanted a redundant backup to Dropbox.

From the tone of your answer it sounds as if you were quite annoyed by my post. Again, if you have any suggestion as to where I can repost after I refine my question, I would really like to know.