Coping files from Mac - error message that file is too big

Just setting up my cloud drive yesterday from my Mac. Tried copying over a few large files that are >4gb and well over and I received an error message that the files are too large for the volume’s format. After a little Googling, this seems to be a FAT32 limitation. Any way around this? Reformatting the drive to another format, setting for the share or the drive? I’ve got quite a few big files (archives, virtual machines) that I’d like to offload to the device.

Thanks

nudoru wrote:

Just setting up my cloud drive yesterday from my Mac. Tried copying over a few large files that are >4gb and well over and I received an error message that the files are too large for the volume’s format. After a little Googling, this seems to be a FAT32 limitation. Any way around this? Reformatting the drive to another format, setting for the share or the drive? I’ve got quite a few big files (archives, virtual machines) that I’d like to offload to the device.

Thanks

It has nothing to do with FAT32.  The My Cloud is a NAS, thus the file system is completely irrelevent to the client.  

(The file system is EXT4, by the way, which has no issue with 4GB+ files.)

I don’t have a Mac, so I don’t know for certain, but from what I’m reading it sounds like a limitation of Apple’s implentation of (strict) SMB.    Use CIFS instead:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5510981?tstart=0

1 Like

Thanks! This solved my problem!