Controlling wd tv live hub with no remote or network

I have taken the live hub away on holidays and realized I forgot the remote.
I am in a hotel room with no network.
all I have is my MacBook and my iPhone
is there anyway to control the wd tv?

Download the WD Remote app from the App Store. It’s free.

thanks for response

1. last time I checked, the app was $$ but I’ll check again
  2. does the app work without a network?

I guess I’ll download and have a look.
thanks

Oh, good point. No, it needs to be on the net.

no - the app will not work unless it’s on the network along with the wd tv.

no network, no remote, no wd tv!

I wouldve thought connecting directly from the phone via USB would’ve enabled control? ike is that a ridiculous expectation?

Ok,

I have found the solution - I now have control over my WD TV Live Hub without the remote or a local network.

How?

It was not simple and requires a basic understanding of networking but for those of you with the same issue, here is a step by step gude.

Firstly - This guide is for a macbook laptop but I’m sure some googling will help you find similar instructions for a Windows machine.

Basically, you have to set your pc/laptop up as a dhcp server.

1. Set up your laptop as a DHCP server -  http://www.aleph0.com/computing/macosx/dhcp-setup/

2. Once complete, plug a cat5 cable into the ethernet port of the WD TV and the MacBook

3. The Macbook will now assign an IP address to the WD TV

4. I assumed that the IP address would be next in line (192.168.2.2) - Just connect to this IP address in Safari (or any web browser)

That is it - you can now control the WD TV using the browser interface.

NOTE: if your WD TV does not respond on 192.168.2.2 you can keep trying 192.168.2.3, 192.168.2.4, etc… or simply download an IP address/port scanner tool to search for the connected device.