Controlling wd tv live hub by network

Hello,

I’m got a WD TV Live Hub connected to my Home Stereo. I listen the music with the Stereo and not on my PC, but I would like to remote control my WD Hub by the network with my PC. This way I do not have to move back downstairs to put or select some other music.
I saw that I can use a virtual remote control; but If I don’t  go in front of my TV I can’t see what I’m doing with the virtual remote control. Is there a way to see what is sent to my TV on the PC or is there another solution to drive the Hub via the network?
Thanks for your help.

Over the network, no, but if you have an IOS device, you can use the official WD TV remote, to control your WD TV.

Also, there are several 3rd party apps, that allow you to use a remote with android devices.

I have an Galaxy S2. I have loaded the" WD remote" and “WDTV Mediaplayer” but those application gives you an remote control with out showing what you are really doing… if you’re not in front of the TV witch is connected to your WD live Hub, you can not really do anything. Those application are good if you lost or broke your remote control. May be I mist something… Help please. :slight_smile:

I’m actually looking for exactly the same thing. Kind of what you get with the iPhone remote app when controlling iTunes. I don’t know if there’s an app that does exactly that but I have achieved kind of similar results by running AllShare from my Android phone. Look for “UPNP” in the Market and you will find a few (BubbleUPNP, iMediaShare Lite, and others…) that can do that. It’s better than not seeing the screen :) 

Hope it helps and please let me know if you find an app that works nice or that allows you to control the Hub directly. 

1 Like

hey that s not a bad answer!!  I have downloaded  those applications. They don’t work correctly for the moment but I’m sure that’s the way to resulve the probleme.

Twonky seems the application the most used for that… I need more info to make it work.

Currently, there is no way tocontrol the device visually without a connected display. These phone apps only eliminate the need for the factory remote, they do not have the ability to show you what is happening on the Hub.

The UPNP appications I mentioned before seems to do the trick though I’m not really connecting to the LiveHub; I’m streaming to it. It’s the best alternative solution I’ve found so far but I woud LOVE to have a Remote App (like iTunes) that shows me the same information you can see in the screen while moving aroudn the folders and allow me to play them. A 3 tab apps that has a “Now Playing”, “Media Player” and “Queue” (Check BubbleUPNP from Android Market)

I guess If someone could develop a remote control app, this should be possible too… hope it happens soon :slight_smile:

Agreed… I wanted the same thing… Im able to stream 320k mp3’s to it with my windows 7 media player without a hitch… dont like it cuz Id rather it be local so if I need to reboot or whatever I can…  but it works. Its really the only solution right now for remote music playing… thank goodness the volume works…  

yep BubbleUPNP seems the application the more adapted to my need. And I have also the need to go through the folders. But at least I can lunch some music that I choose.

Last thing that would be great is also to remote the sound volume. But that I don’t even know if that exist.

Thanks folks for your tips.  :wink:

Remote sound volume I know exists on the android phone with the application for the live hub… it may on the iphone too.

I have no experience with any of this but I’m intrigued.  If this sounds completely dumb just pat me on the head and tell me to go play in traffic.

Why can’t the content that is sent to the main display be repeated as a stream to a remote device? (in theory if not in practice)

GCG

Gulf:   That’s a good question.

In most cases, the issue is that remote devices (iPods, iPhones, iPads, androids, etc) all have very specific requirements for what formats of audio and video it can play back.

At least in the case of Apple, it’s VERY restrictive format:  MP4 (of specific parameters) and AAC audio.

The WD would have to be able to transcode on the fly (which is extremely processor intensive) to make the streams playable on the remote devices…  

Then there’s bandwidth concerns if streaming via the internet / 3G / LTE / etc…  

So it’s an aweful lot of work.

As mentioned… somewhat difficult… however, would be relatively easy to do it via a webpage… not the screen itself because you’d have update issues… (someone might be using the remote on the HDMI screen and youd have inconsistentcies)  but you could do a seperate control webpage altogether…  now, sure, you could have a remote on HDMI interface war with the HTML webpage interface but Im willing to live with that!  

This is purely manpower/product design/cost vs profit/actual end user usage % situation with Western Digital… They want to sell more units… would this facilitate?  Me thinks yes… do they have the budget to put a programmer on it?  We do not know, and its none of our business…  

Would I love it?  yes!  Could access from any HTML ready device. and youd be playing video/audio from the local drive if wanted (this is what I want)…  

Until then… streaming from windows 7 works just fine for me until I need to reboot or **bleep** up so much bandwidth that the stream stutters…  

Im looking for WD to expand the existing web page… Id be happy if they just added a music player to it with a volume control…  Quite frankly, if they did that Id look at this thing as perfect… I cant think of anything else Id personally want… although I know the rest of you have laundry lists… :slight_smile:

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Gulf:   That’s a good question.

In most cases, the issue is that remote devices (iPods, iPhones, iPads, androids, etc) all have very specific requirements for what formats of audio and video it can play back.

At least in the case of Apple, it’s VERY restrictive format:  MP4 (of specific parameters) and AAC audio.

The WD would have to be able to transcode on the fly (which is extremely processor intensive) to make the streams playable on the remote devices…  

Then there’s bandwidth concerns if streaming via the internet / 3G / LTE / etc…  

So it’s an aweful lot of work.

Ok then, since most if not all of the screens we’d be concerned with are static till we perform some action, a screeshot to a JPG of a reserved name eg. ‘current_screen.jpg’.  Serve up the screen JPG and every action taken results in overwriting the JPG or it’s updated on a timed cycle.  Clumsy perhaps but workable.

GCG

Nanuzco wrote:

I’m actually looking for exactly the same thing. Kind of what you get with the iPhone remote app when controlling iTunes. I don’t know if there’s an app that does exactly that but I have achieved kind of similar results by running AllShare from my Android phone. Look for “UPNP” in the Market and you will find a few (BubbleUPNP, iMediaShare Lite, and others…) that can do that. It’s better than not seeing the screen :) 

Hope it helps and please let me know if you find an app that works nice or that allows you to control the Hub directly. 

Just tried BubbleUPnP on Android / Windows 7. Nice. Thanks for the info.