Continuous connexion loss with My Book World Edition 1TB

Since several weeks, I’m experiencing continuously some connexion losses with a My Book World Edition 1 TB.

I hoped to solve this by giving the NAS a fixed ip-address but this doesn’t help.

Who has any idea on what I should do ?

When I reset the disk, the connexion re-establishes but can last from a few minutes to a few hours.

Two days ago, I resetted the disk to factory setup, but it didn’t change anything.

follow the multiple freezing posts on this board, which we came to a solution i detailed.

MonWDreseau: Western Digital are aware of these ‘network complications’ that you speak of and, as a result, have pulled the .10 firmware update - the one you may of just updated to. There are numerous threads on this topic which can be found here, here and here.

The official .12 update should be out at some point soon, once WD have beta tested it thoroughly enough to as to prevent issues like this from happening.

As a matter of fact, I upgraded the firmware to 1.02.10 version on the last day it was available (I didn’t log into the community before doing this and thus didn’t see there were numerous troubles with this version of the firmware…). But the problem appeared before this upgrade.

I’ve tried without success Answer Id 3659 (rebuilding TwonkyMedia database).

I had read the different links given by timeimp but I found all this very confusing with different opinions stated by the community members but without any synthesis.

I think my next step tonight will be to turn off MioNet, TwonkyMedia and ITunes since I primarily use the NAS to backup my PCs. I will then wait for the next firmware update.

By the way : my NAS is a My Book World Edition(white light)  WDH1NC10000E and I don’t have any computers running on Mac OS 10.7 (Lion). I only have PCs with Windows XP or 7 and iPod Touch/iPad 2.

Is there anything else I may turn off on the NAS ?

Here is what I did tonight :

Starting point : firmware 01.02.10 with MioNet 4.3.1.13

Resetted the disk ( Answer ID 3553)

Installed the last release of PuTTY ( http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html))

Enabled SSH on my Western Digital My Book World Edition by doing the following :

1/ launched WD Discovery and clicked on “Configure”
2/ in my browser, logged into the Network Storage Manager
3/ Basic Mode > Network, wrote down the IP address of my Western Digital My Book World Edition
4/ Advanced Mode > System > Advanced > SSH Access : Enable > Submit
=> Updated successfully

Launched PuTTY :

Host Name : IP address of my Western Digital My Book World Edition
login as : root
root@“IP address of my Western Digital My Book World Edition”'s password : welc0me

Typed in the PuTTY windows :

cd /etc/init.d/
cp S90smbd S90smbd.ORIG
vi S90smbd
/nice
12x
:wq
cp S97twonkyserver S97twonkyserver.ORIG
vi S97twonkyserver
/nice
12x
:wq
reboot

Deactivated MioNet by doing the following :

1/ launched WD Discovery and click on “Configure”
3/ Basic Mode > Remote Access : unmarked Enable MioNet on Startup and clicked on Stop MioNet
4/ Basic Mode > Shutdown/Reboot > Reboot > Yes

Deactivated iTunes by doing the following :

1/ launched WD Discovery and click on “Configure”

3/ Advanced Mode > Media > iTunes : unmarked Enable and clicked on Submit

4/ Basic Mode > Shutdown/Reboot > Reboot > Yes

Deactivated TwonkyMedia by doing the following :

http://mybookworld:9000/rpc/stop

(this has to be done each time you reboot the disk)

I hope this will make it until the release of the new firmware.

It doesn’t work any better. The disk still disappears from the network when copying large amount of data from a PC to the NAS.

=> I’ll stop trying and wait for the firmware release. In the meantime, the MBWE will only be used to backup the PCs.