Continuous Backups or not? Have to run backup regularly?

I recently installed the MyBook Live on via Ethernet, and it is Accessed via my wireless router.

My question is, and I have searched thru the manual, and can’t seem to understand this.  I ran the “Full Backup”

which I am guessing puts those files into some “Invisible” Partition of the drive, as it’s not visible when you just look at the drive. 

BUT, my MAIN QUESTION:  I did read, if you make a change or anything to a backed-up file, it will automatically make another back-up copy of it, which I see you set how many of these to allow.

BUT, WHAT I DO NOT UNDERSTAND:  DO I NEED TO RUN THE BACK UP PROCESS AGAIN AT A REGULAR INTERVAL, OR DOES THE DRIVE CONTINUOUSLY MAINTAIN MY BACK UP, REMOVE DELETED FILES, BACK UP NEW ONES??

I know this is quite a Noob question, but I cannot seem to find documentation on it anywhere?

Any input on this would be greatly apprecialted??

THANK YOU,

Jeff / Spyder

The software is a automatic backup software which means once you click run backup once it will work automatically unless you stop the back up process.

Thank you very much.   So, any new files created, (as long as they are in the “Backed up” areas, i.e. Documents, will be created and backed up on the External…excellent, I thought so, but needed to confirm, BECAUSE…I needed to “Restore” 1 time, BUT it was on a different computer, as the original backed up was stolen (at airport, a laptop), so the system, could not put things back to “Original Locations” and had to put all in one folder, with sub-folders, but still a mess TONS of duplicates due to changes in files, BUT restoring the oringal backed up, I believe this would be fine. 

Including new files since backup, etc.

Thank you very much for the reply.

All the best.

Jeff

PS:  Actually I will add, I did NOT stop the back up, and it did say completed successfully, BUT, there were a few (5) files, claimed “Unable to backup”, I assume since it told me successful, it is backing up correctly at this point.  THANKS AGAIN. (I Know I can switch to “File Backup” and select files, but the ones it said it couldn’t were old format type emails, who cares…

THANKS…JEFF

I ran a full backup when I first installed My Book.  Now when I open the software, it says “ready to backup” but there is no “start backup” button to select.  It has “pause backup” but the “run backup” button is greyed out.  It does not look like anything is happening on the LED light on My Book.  How do I know it is really backing up my files?

hugh…I’m sorry, but this has me puzzled, as I waited till I had the new pc fairly set-up, then Ran the back-up, it took 7-8 hours (Via wireless router), EVER SINCE THEN, I have NEVER received any notifications from the HD, except an email, when it looses power or something it tells me it was offline for whatever.  But that’s it.

That’s why I was confused if it backing up “NEW” files I make.  Since this “Back up” is in some partition of the drive we don’t see, we can’t just go look and see if it’s there.

Really, should research a bit, see what the partition is, and if you can go into there and see what’s up?  Probably not in any format that we would understand anyway…

So, I’ll be watching, I’m curious what this is…ALTHOUGH I can think of only 1 thing, that is, the ability to “Switch” from FILE BACKUP or the MAIN REGULAR BACKUP, sounds like it’s set to individual file backup, and it’s asking you if you want those backed up.  Check in the “Bakup” and see which way it is set.

Take care.

Jeff