Content Scan not going anywhere

My WD My Cloud 3T has been showing what you see below for days… video and music scanning done, photos and other at 0%.  Has anyone seen this?  Anything I can do to help move it along?

what firmware are you on? this seems to be worse on v4 although I still had it in V3 so I disabled some processes using workaround in this post. some people have reported it settling down after a long time, mutiple days which veries greatly depending on number of media files

I am still not sure what you lose by disabling them, thumbnail pre-generation for the WD photo app is one but it appears to genaerate as needed without it. no idea what the other process does. I have not noticed anything missing

rwilsie wrote:

My WD My Cloud 3T has been showing what you see below for days… video and music scanning done, photos and other at 0%.  Has anyone seen this?  Anything I can do to help move it along?

Nothing you can do to help “move it along” other than disable that piece of software.  As another forum member suggested there is an unofficial work around that involves disabling two software daemons that are responsible for file scanning, thumbnail conversions and media database updates.  If you are still within your return/refund period you might consider getting your money back.  They only way I could live with the My Cloud’s performance was to disable the software that does the scanning.  Doing so 1) voids your warranty and 2) removes a key feature from the product.  v4 firmware has been out more than a month now and support has been silent on a real fix for this problem.  I have yet to hear back from support with a resolution even though my case has supposedly been escalated.  You will read some people suggesting the scanning settles down after it’s been through it’s initial run.  That is complete BS … anytime you copy data to the drive you will run into the same problem.  If you copy/move/rename/delete large amounts of data be prepared to not use your My Cloud for hours and possibly days while it takes over CPU and Disk I/O.  It’s fine if you don’t do a lot of copying to the drive.  Unfortunately for me I wasted a month trying to figure out the problem and then to try and fix it; my 2 week refund period has since past.

Thanks for the replies.  I had updated to firmware v4, which made the device pretty much unuseable.  Seeing all the similar complaints here, I contacted WD support… they had me do a full factory restore (which took 4 days), and afterward, performance was just as bad.  At that point they said they’d send me a replacement… so now I’m on v3.something.  Speeds aren’t what they should be in gigabit environment (around 18 MB/sec), but it’s better than the 400 KB/sec I was getting on v4.  As a side note, I’m surprised you’re having trouble with WD support… they were very responsive to me.

Anyway, I’ve disabled those two processes, so we’ll see if that helps at all.  I’ll post an update after a few days of testing.  Thanks again!