Content scan never finishes

sunky wrote:

any solution guys…mycloud has been scanning for days (same number of videos, music…eyc) looks to be stucked

Apparently My Cloud is unable to scan and index some of the images on the drive and then it gets stuck. I solved the problem in my case by finding out what media it was having a problem with (there were some image thumbnails, probably generated by Mac, starting with _ and being very small in size, ca. 4 KB). Once these were deleted, media scans have never failed again (however, since the My Cloud is a rollercoaster of problems and disappointments, now it’s Safepoints that fail with my drives).

cheers

how do you find out what media the cloud drive is unable to scan?

Lin_Admin wrote:

Can you open them with your usual photo apps?

Would you mind to share one of them with us on pastebin (maybe you must put it in a zip to avoid any conversions and make sure we get it unchanged).?

Thank you.

I might try to find one of those files (perhaps left on another drive which has no problem like this) and post (as you can probably guess, I searched for them and deleted as soon as I noticed what the problem was).  I am not cure which program generated them, as they were not the usual Mac hidden files / folders.

These files had image extensions, were very small in size (ca 4 KB) but could not be opened with any of the photo apps (which might have confused the content scan as well).

sunky wrote:

cheers

how do you find out what media the cloud drive is unable to scan?

That, unfortunately, is difficult to find out. Try looking for small or hidden image files (e.g. generated thumbnails, NOT the usual Thumbs.db generated by Windows or .DS_Store generated by Macs) or especially large files (photos). Media scan might be having problems with these (as it was in my case).

thanks dario

where do you look for these files though? in my several media folders?

Can anyone post instructions on how to access the log file listing the errors via SSH?

frasefrase wrote:

Can anyone post instructions on how to access the log file listing the errors via SSH?

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10435

Thanks, but that’s just how to turn SSH on. I’m looking for the commands you need to put into terminal to open the actual log files

Same question here - how do I view the log files (after switching SSH on)? Anyone?

turandil wrote:

Same question here - how do I view the log files (after switching SSH on)? Anyone?

using a SSH program like putty for Windows

1. under hostname or ip, type your ip for your WD Cloud, click open

2. once you connected you should see a terminal prompt asking for your username, type root

3. default password is welc0me (note that the 0 is actually the numeric zero 0)

or just the terminal program for Mac

1. open terminal program under Applications/Utilities Terminal.app

2. ssh root@192.168.0.11  (note this ip will vary at your place)

3. type in your password welc0me (numeric 0)

now…

cd /var/log

you can type 

ls 

This shows all the logs that you can view… The one that you want is wdmcserver.log, so to view it…

cat wdmcserver.log

yeah, I know it is probably huge and you cannot scroll through it…

so here is what you can do…

cp wdmcserver.log /shares/Public/wdmcserver.txt

cd /shares/Public

chmod 777 wdmcserver.txt

Basically we copied the log to your public drive and renamed it to wdmcserver.txt and made the file viewable.

Now go look at your disk root directory through windows file explorer or finder on the mac and click on the text file wdmcserver.txt.  

You might need a better text editor viewer in Windows as the editor doesn’t recognize just carriage returns and needs linefeeds.

Hope that helps though…

p.s. type exit to end the terminal session

I’ve reported the problem at http://community.wd.com/t5/Personal-Cloud-Ideas/Turn-off-Convert-Process/idi-p/712550

Please vote there to get their attention to fix it.  Thanks.

2 Likes

Someone find a solution for this! My HD has been working like crazy, overheating never able to finish the scan process!!! I did reset, reboot, whatnot and still no luck to get it done!!! Some please help!!!

mariovegas wrote:

… My HD has been working like crazy, overheating …

mariovegas:   Your drive should be able to run without overheating.

If your Cloud is overheating, then you have an environment / ventilation issue, or hardware fault.

I can feel it warmer than it is supposed to be. And thats only because it is trying to scan the contents but without any luck. Its keeps getting an error. Just hung up the phone with WD, they will send a replacement. Everything they tried to fix this didnt work. So frustrated.

mariovegas wrote:

I can feel it warmer than it is supposed to be. 

How do you know how warm it’s supposed to be?    Are you getting temperature alerts?  LED on the front?

Buddy, the hard drive is working mad like its writing data on it whereas is absolutely 0 activity on the drive. Come on, I am not retarded, the drive is faulty, bad firmware ages before being OK to hit the market. What a shame for WD, had such a high opinion about them.

Wow.  Ok…

No, you’re making claims with no basis in fact.

You said your drive was so busy that it was overheating.  When asked about that, you change the story, so no one here can believe what you’re saying.  “It’s warmer than it’s supposed to be.”    That’s nonsense…   Unless the Over-Temperature alert comes on, then it’s not warmer than it’s supposed to be…  that’s fact, not emotion.

As to why your drive is doing activities, that’s already been answered NUMEROUS times, but you’re ignoring every answer.

mariovegas wrote:

Come on, I am not retarded

No, but you’re apparently happy to ignore correct answers, so how do you expect people to help you?

I’m guessing based on your experinece that you’ve never owned a NAS before…  I suggest you do additional research before you buy another product or you’ll start wasting other people’s time. ;)

EVERY NAS out there will be doing disk activities occasionally whether you’re accessing the data or not.  

1 Like