Constant CPU usage

Hi,

I’m currently on 1.5.1.6, and I’ve noticed that WDFME.exe is running for hours in the background at roughly 40% CPU usage. Even when it claims the backup has completed successfully, it’s still drawing not inconsiderable resources.

Surely this can’t be normal or acceptable behaviour - only CPU-intensive applications like 3D graphics software consume as much CPU time. Will this be directly addressed in future updates?

Can I perhaps disable the constant backup behaviour and manually backup monthly using SmartWare?

Thanks for any advice,

Andy.

Hi

Unfortunately Smartware is designed to constantly work on the background and at this time that feature can’t be change. If you have windows 7 and you would like to have schedule backups, you can use windows backup.-

1 Like

Thanks for the reply Ricardo.

Andy.

mrshift wrote:

Hi,

I’m currently on 1.5.1.6, and I’ve noticed that WDFME.exe is running for hours in the background at roughly 40% CPU usage. Even when it claims the backup has completed successfully, it’s still drawing not inconsiderable resources.

Surely this can’t be normal or acceptable behaviour - only CPU-intensive applications like 3D graphics software consume as much CPU time. Will this be directly addressed in future updates?

Can I perhaps disable the constant backup behaviour and manually backup monthly using SmartWare?

Thanks for any advice,

Andy.

40% really isn’t that much -it seems to release resources to other programs when asked to, so its only really using that much when your not using it for something else…

Another thing you can do if you don’t the drive connected to the computer is to stop the process WDMEFE.EXE (if I’m not wrong).-

ricardodegracia wrote:

Another thing you can do if you don’t the drive connected to the computer is to stop the process WDMEFE.EXE (if I’m not wrong).-

Yeah…but if you do that its not keeping track of stuff to backup…

Ardvark wrote:

mrshift wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for any advice,

Andy.

40% really isn’t that much -it seems to release resources to other programs when asked to, so its only really using that much when your not using it for something else…

I have this issue and it is still a huge problem even if it is releasing the processing power to other processes. On my laptop it causes the fans to constantly run and drains my battery super fast when the machine should be idle. This is completely unacceptable.

I have noticed this and I am glad I am not the only one.  After several hours it does settle down and consume very few resources.  However, I presume that when you reboot it has to go through all your files and ensure they haven’t changed as the WD software will not know what’s happened between shutting down and starting up, and I guess the same would be true if you paused it (the WD software that is!).  I normally switch off my PC every night but I am going to try hibernating instead.  This will hopefully ensure that (effectively) WD will think the PC has been running continuously.  I will just have to power down my external hdds seperately.  I am not complaining, my Core i7 processor & 9GB memory cope admirably with the load, and I have not noticed any pauses or delays to other programs.  Overall, I am very pleased with the ‘instant’ backups SmartWare gives me.

I have the same problem and I agree this is totally unacceptable.

I work on a smal laptop and the use of WD considerably slows down the machine.

This is not what I excpect form a utility software.

I’ve tried the parameter that says “Suspend backup until computer is idle” (or somethung similar in a localized version). It does not seems to make any difference.

Does it work for any one ?

GC