Consistent HDD Activity Noise - PR4100

I recently installed PLEX and started to build up a video library. Originally I had 4x4TB drives in RAID 5. Everything was fine, no idle noises, etc. Then I upgraded to 4x18TB drives and suddenly I am getting hard disk noise and the blue drive lights will flash in sequence.

What I am looking for is this:

Can you give me direction on how to determine what is accessing the disks? Specifically commands through SSH

I keep hearing about indexing and can be patient if that’s all it is. But it’s been going on since adding the new drives and I just want to know what it is and if its temporary.

More info: When I copy files to the NAS, I do hear much louder activity (obviously). I am an IT consultant by trade so I do know the difference between Heavy, Medium and Idle hard drive noises.

Thanks in advance!

Hi @rmillerjr10,

Please refer to the article Western Digital Hard Drive Noise:

If further assistance is needed, please open a case with our support team at the following:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/askweb

Worthless

I just posted about this. I am sure it’s Plex related. When I turn off the Plex server on my PR4100, the system actually goes into Standy mode. With Plex running but nothing on my network actually accessing media through Plex, the HDDs are active. I don’t have a solution other than to uninstall Plex or to turn off the service when I don’t plan on using Plex