Consistency Check is an Epic Design Failure

So, my PR4100 is attached to a dedicated UPS in my home office that supplies over 60 minutes of runtime. Unfortunately, we had an outage that lasted 6 hours and I do not have a generator at home. Of course, when power returned, I got the dreaded “Performing file system consistency check” message. In chatting with support, there is no way to overcome this and they suggest it will take up to 7 more days in addition to the 2 days I have already been waiting. So, for 9 days, I have a $1,000 paperweight on my desk.

Come on designers!!! The entire point of a RAID-5 NAS is to avoid this very problem! There should be an option to bypass the check and determine if everything works prior to starting the check. Those of us in home offices rely on these devices for our critical business. This crappy design is costing us money!!!

For the community, enjoy the levity that is the exchange with the support tech (not his fault, he is reading from the script)!
Ethan H: Hi, my name is Ethan H. How may I help you?
Me: My PR4100 has been stuck on “Power was lost from the system. Performing file system consistency check. Please wait.” for two days
Me: How do I get access to my files. I need them urgently and this is a major disruption
Ethan H: As I understand your concern, your device is doing file check and is stuck for 2 days in that state?
Me: Yes
Me: Since 5/27
Me: I cannot login to to the device
Me: I cannot access the shares
Me: I need the files on there urgently as it serves a website
Me: How do I bypass the consistency check and get back to operational ASAP?
Ethan H: Sorry for the issue you are facing, not to worry, I will help you in best possible way.
Ethan H: Please let me know the country you are contacting from?
Me: US
Ethan H: Thank you, please provide me device serial number.
Me: Where is that located?
Ethan H: You can see on the back of device with S/N.
Me: WUBP29060085
Me: Hello?
Ethan H: Yes I am checking the device details.
Ethan H: I see you have My cloud PR4100 32 GB device.
Me: yes
Ethan H: Please let me know if there was change in network or power, as well please let me know the power Led status of the device?
Me: Yes, as I stated initially, the error message was “Power was lost from the system. Performing file system consistency check. Please wait.”
Me: The Power LED is blinking slowly
Ethan H: Thank you, we do recommend that the device should complete consistency check and when the device is ready that is power led is solid blue then you can access.
Ethan H: However, we can try doing a 4 sec reset on the device.
Me: I cannot be without the files. I am running a production web server and it is holding my files hostage
Me: How do we do that?
Me: From everything I am reading online, the consistency check could take over 8 days. That is outrageously too long
Ethan H: Please take a paper clip and at the back of the device you have a small little hole to perform a reset. Press and hold the reset button for 4 sec and then release it.
Ethan H: The Led will be still blinking and we will wait for 2 to 3 minutes and check.
Me: One moment
Me: I did that and the device has not changed.
Ethan H: Please wait for 2 to 3 minutes and then we will check again.
Me: ok
Me: I have waited 3 minutes and there is no change
Ethan H: Please allow me 2 to 3 minutes here, let me check further with my resources.
Me: ok
Ethan H: Thank you for being on hold, we appreciate your patience. Please be informed that the file check must be completed hence you will be able to access the files, as we have tried reset but it seems that we need only to wait.
Me: I cannot wait for 6 more days
Me: That is not even close to reasonable. There has to be a way around this!
Me: Honestly, I cannot wait another day
Me: The entire purpose of a RAID-5 NAS is to avoid these types of failures
Ethan H: I understand your concern, but the device will not be ready unless file check is completed, there is no other go except to wait.
Me: That is an epic failure in design
Ethan H: We may even try to do a 40 sec reset or power cycle the device, but the file check will start over, we need here is to wait.
Me: Oh god
Ethan H: I am sorry, but nothing can be done as this moment except to wait for device to be ready.
Me: This is an epic design failure!!! How do we get this logged as a serious defect?
Me: Hello???
Me: Are you there?
Ethan H: Yes I am with you.
Me: This is an epic design failure!!! How do we get this logged as a serious defect?
Me: And, how long should I expect that this should take?
Ethan H: We would request you to wait for device to be ready. That will take a maximum of 7 days.
Me: Jesus Christ!!!
Me: Totally Unaceptable!
Ethan H: I am sorry at this point we cannot do anything.
Me: Does this seem even remotely acceptable to you?
Me: ???
Ethan H: I do understand your concern, but even if we do a 40 sec reset or power cycle the device, i will start over and there is nothing much we can do.
Me: Not what I asked. I asked if this seems even remotely acceptable to you to have a device that is supposed to provide redundancy and high availability go offline for 7 days?
Ethan H: I do understand your concern, but we cannot do anything here, had it been in my hand I would have definitely helped you with this.
Me: Worst design ever!!!
Ethan H: I am sorry, how you feel about that, but here nothing we can do.
Ethan H: Is there anything else, I may assist you with?
Me: Well, given that my $1,000 NAS is now a paperweight for 7 days, not sure what you could help with
Ethan H: As we have already informed, we would only request you is to wait until device is ready. Thank you.
Ethan H: Is there anything else, I may assist you with?
Me: Have you assisted me so far? Sorry to be snarky, it is not your fault. But this is a terrible design!
Ethan H: I am sorry, but we have provided the information regarding that.

So here we are on day number 10 and this damned thing is still not accessible. What a complete joke!