Considering buying a second NAS unit

My current system is a ‘My Cloud EX4’ with four 2Tb WD RED drives running under RAID 5. I have been considering the purchase of a second system with far greater storage - in particular four 6Tb WD RED drives again running under RAID 5. Can two such systems be combined or do I run them separately with differing names? What would be the best configuration providing the most data storage whilst maintaining full data redundancy?

Hello,

You can do a backup from one drive to the other but you cannot have them combined working together.

The purchase of complete systems (with disks) seem to set the maximum capacity at 24 TB (and no mention of the grade of disks suplied e.g. Red, Green or Blue) which would imply 4 x 6 TB disks. I appreciate that the actual capacity would be less given data redundancy. However, would the system accept 4 x 8 TB drives with a max capacity therefore of 32 TB.

I can’t seem to find complete systems for sale with 32 TB max capacity. Therefore I can’t decide whether it would be cheaper to by a complete system or buy a diskless unit and purchase the 4 x 8 TB (WD Red) drives separately.

Please advise.

I bought a diskless dl2100 and have put in 2xwdred 8tb drives in and it just runs, so I am fairly sure of that you can put 4 red 8tb disk into a 4bay wd nas and that it will work. I have no problems with my dl2100 and 8tb disks.

I have decided to buy a diskless EX4 unit and four 8TB WD Red NAS drives to go in it. I may not do immeditely but fairly soon.

I myself are sure of, that can the unit handle 6tb disks it can also handle 8 tb disks

get a qnap.

Sadly, your suggestion has come a little late. I have already purchased the WD NAS unit. I shall bear it in mind for the future. Thanks for the response.

Bob