Connecting Wireless Passport

Page 3 of the manual Select My Passport. When selected Win 8.1 asks for Network Security Key where do I get Network Security Key ?

Hello,

Take a look at page # 44 of the user’s manual.

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705118.pdf

Thank you for directing me to page 44

However, my problem is on page 8 I’m using MS Win 8.1 when I select Mypassport in networks > enter networks security key where do I get this key?

I did have mypassport running OK I was in the dashboard I updated mypassport then run into this problem.

I was OK until I updated.

Thank you for your help

ps 

Where is the Kudos star?

Network Security Key is another way of saying passwprd, be it for a home network, or in this case; you need to enter the password for the MPW that you gave it.

Sorry but the network is not accepting the password I think it is. How can I retrieve/find the network password.

Thank you for being patient with me.

Jimmy

I suggest you return MPW to factory defaults.  It wll clear any passwords, and afterward your MPW will be like it was out of the box, and you need to set it up again, enter the password, etc, and be sure you remember the password.  Follow these instructions carefully, and your MPW must be ON and fully booted before proceeding. 

Important – the MPW must be ON when you do the restore or you will cause major problems that are hard to recover from.  MPW can not be connected to a computer, and it needs to be fully charged.

System Restore (No UI):

*Do NOT have an SD card in the drive.

1. Power ON device. Wait till both lights are solid (Fully Booted)
  2. Hold both buttons in for 10 seconds (or until the device reboots)
  3. When it boots up it will be in a fresh state, with the exception of the drive. The drive is not touched with this restore.

Make SURE unit is ON before restoring to defaults.

Once restored you can set it up like it was brand new again.  If you don’t have the full user manual to refer to, first download it fron WD Support and refer it for set up procedures. 

There are Sample Media files you can play from the MPW to your phone.  No need to connect to your computer until you have confirmed the My Cloud app works to access these media files.

Be sure you are away from other electronic devices – move far enough away with phone and MPW before doing restore and then set up.  I also found using an iPad instead of an iPhone made setting up easier.

Carried out you instructions and re set my passport. With two light’s on green and blue. Clicked mypassport in MS Win 8.1 networks. Network says Limited connection no Internet acsses. 

Green and Blue LED sounds like battery: green (it is blue when fully charged), and blue on lower LED means MPW is connected, wirelessly.  No internet access is because you are directly connected to MyPassport lonly.  To have internet access your MPW must be connected to a network (yours or a hotspot). 

So, do you have WD Ny Cloud app installed on your mobile device and can you access the MPW and the sample media?

Note:

After a restore, install the latest firmware, even if it was on the MPW it could have been removed during the restore process.