Connecting two drives

Hi all

I have a 2tb usb3 my book attached to the usb3 port on the back of my pc. I have just bought a 2tb usb3 my passport but when I connect that to the other usb3 port on the back of the pc both the my book and my passport disappear! I have tried changing the drive signatures for both drives but still as soon as I plug in either the my book or my passport they both disappear. If I plug one of them into a usb2 port I can see both drives.

Please can any help?

Many thanks

S

It may be a power issue. A lot of PC makers use barely adequet power supplies before people start adding USB items. Try plugging the My Book straight into a wall outlet. These drives are very sensitive to voltage. Make sure you’re not using USB cables longer than the ones supplied.

Joe

Hi Joe

Many thanks for your reply. I tried your suggestion but unfortunately no luck, still the same problem.

Really open to any other ideas. I don’t want to have to keep swapping drives or use one as a usb2.

Thanks again

Si

I’ll post a link about changing the signature maybe you missed something http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Passport-for-PC/Copy-files-from-one-drive-to-another/m-p/277504/highlight/false#M7587  Usually it’s identical rives with this problem.

Joe

Thanks for the link Joe. I’m afraid I’ve already tried all that. I’ve even tried plugging my card into a different slot on the motherboard and changing the power supply plug. Short of changing the usb3 card itself, I’m out of ideas. 

I am on the verge of giving up with western digital and returning it for a different manufacturer.

Thanks again

Si

USB 3 cards are known to have problems and conflicts. Have you checked the card maker’s site for updates? You can try uninatalling the USB drivers and reinstalling.

Joe

Thanks again for your time and help Joe. Yep, tried all that too. I even completly reformatted both the drives in question today and nothing seems to be working and still can’t connect both at the same time without them both disconnecting themselves.

Si