Connecting to WD Media Player

Hello. I currently have a WD My Passport and a WD Live Media Player. I was thinking about upgrading to the WD My Cloud in replacement of My Passport. I will be using it to play movies from on my media player, and have read online that some people experience issues when streaming over a network, especially HD videos. 

So I was wondering if: 

1. Anyone currently uses their My Cloud to stream movies to their Media Player and if they have issues?

2. If it is possible to connect My Cloud to the Media player other than over a network. For example, can I connect it with any sort of cable, like a USB to USB cord or anything like that?

Thanks a lot

Matt

1. Anyone currently uses their My Cloud to stream movies to their Media Player and if they have issues?

Yes, I do, and yes, I have. However, this isn’t the MyCloud or Twonky (the included DLNA media server) that causes the issue, per say, but the way the media itself was encoded, or the device it is being played back on. Normally, with h.264(mp4) or DivX(avi) I have no issues streaming to my Xbox360. You’ll have to play with your encoding settings and find the right “feel” to get the most out of your content.

Many forget that your router also has a major impact on streaming, especially when streaming to multiple devices simultaneously. Just a thought.

1. If it is possible to connect My Cloud to the Media player other than over a network. For example, can I connect it with any sort of cable, like a USB to USB cord or anything like that?

The MyCloud only has a 10/100/1000 network interface, and there is no other way of connecting the drive without voiding the warranty. Period.

The actual drive within the enclosure uses a sata connector, and a Linux file system. Please note, however, that even if you know what you’re doing, you void your warranty and run the risk of borking your drive.

Hope this answered your questions!