Connecting to mycloud via a tethered EE phone

Hi All.

I am a new WDCloud user so this question may have come up before but I cannot find an answer.

The reason for buying the product was to be able to use the tethering on my Samsung Galaxy phone to retreive files from home storage to an appropiate laptop running win 7 64 bit. My laptop can connect and retreve files when wirelesly connected at home, but when I use the tethered phone with 4g connection I see the device listed and try to connect; and sit back but then get a message that I cannot connect to this device. Any sugestions woud be greatfully received.

Thank you

1 Like

lets try to seperate the issues.

have you configured remote access on the mycloud and setup a WD account?

can you take the laptop somewhere else and and use that network to connect to the mycloud.

how are you trying to connect remotely with the laptop? https://www.wd2go.com/ is probably the best choice

DavidWilkinson wrote:

Hi All.

I am a new WDCloud user so this question may have come up before but I cannot find an answer.

The reason for buying the product was to be able to use the tethering on my Samsung Galaxy phone to retreive files from home storage to an appropiate laptop running win 7 64 bit. My laptop can connect and retreve files when wirelesly connected at home, but when I use the tethered phone with 4g connection I see the device listed and try to connect; and sit back but then get a message that I cannot connect to this device. Any sugestions woud be greatfully received.

Thank you

Hi David

Okay, this isn’t an isssue with the tethering, I also use my mobile to tether as a wifi hotspot. This is an issue with connecting your laptop to the NAS remotely (i.e. would still fail if you were wired in to a store free wifi connection). You need to have setup remote access and have got an account from WD. I would then suggest that unless you a bit more switched on about these things than me, you download the WD app for windows and connect using this.

Hope this helps

Thank you for your reply.

I connect using a program downloaded from WD’s website which is located as

“C:\Program Files (x86)\Western Digital\WD My Cloud\WD My Cloud.exe”

I will try on a friends wifi and also a BTfon hotspot as soon as possible.

As also sugested I will make certain I have correctly set up a WDMycloud account and then report back

Thank you

SORTED!!!

1am last night I decided to go radical.

I had tried to log on with my email address and it just stuck on saving.

The same happened with password.

I found a paper clip and shoved it in the hole on the back labled RESET!

It takes a while to reboot so I went to bed.

It is amazing with computers and networks what a good nights sleep can do.

This morning disconnected my laptop from the network and logged on via my mobile tethered phone.

Hey presto a few clicks and IT WORKS!

Thank you and the other member who posted help I appreciate it.

One thing i did not mention I am blind. The instruction manual was no help as my speech software could not read it.

Your support was invaluble

David

@ David,

That is kind of funny, because no matter what I do, none of the tried things work after updating to the latest firmware.

And I cannot punch holes in my Router ports 80 and 443 while that was no problem with the two former firmware. Never had to do port forwarding either and my Apple TV does not like port forwarding to be done in my router because it stops working then. 

Support called me. Another things that I noticed. My back up USB disk was working for since I used it for back up. Now all of sudden from yesterday I have an error Code 1102.

I have reset everything except the My Cloud to factory settings. This was never needed because it worked. But remote access with my phone has only worked with the former Firmware in the no 3.0.

Been away for 6 weeks had the My Cloud running. I was not able to access it from Mexico, Florida, nor from Jamaica. Even though I tried several routers from friends and family to access the My Cloud via my phone. Changed  several sims and all that. Nothing, nada. There I was, demontrating the WD My Cloud to my friends and family only to be red shamed in my face because it did not work.

This thing I bought around January, and the second firmware I had on it, worked just fine. When all the other firmware came, it became worse and worse. One by one things stopped working while I had a working unit and used it for month without any problems. It is the updates in firmware that causes this.

My hardware does not give my any problems and I have no problems with remote on other hardware. It is this thing WD My Cloud that has wasted my time, energy and other issues. It has failed to be consistent in it’s operation.

On Monday WD is going to access it remotely from there place. We will see what will come out of that. I have seen this before from Comodo, they have that too, remote help, but whenever they do this, you end up with a dysfunctional computer or laptop. 

I have spend so much time on this WD My Cloud if I had to be paid for it, I surely would have had a $ 1000 for the work that it has had. Since WD does not pay out on that. I just have to sit and wait for now 8 months for a decent solution. Disappointing and for me I will think times harder to buy any product related to their My Cloud or other NAS from them.

I always had a Qnap in my mind or a Synology, the reason why I did not buy it is simple because they are expensive. But I have my eye upon the new Qnap 453 pro. So whenever I have the money I will move to that instead, because this WD My Cloud is not reliable and cannot be trusted with anything on it.

Also I just checked the Safepoint, now it is in a invalid state. Sigh. Does it ever stop ? Which means: You do the back up on the WD My Cloud, it sits there and it functions until there is a new firmware update, then you have to disconnect the USB Drive and shut it down via the USB eject button, always do this, restart the My Cloud or shut down, reboot, wait long time for the light to become blue, the log in IP address and set time, restart the router, restart the smart switch, shut down all other hardware on the lan, wireless and as well smartphones and so forth. This is a everlasting chain of events that I can do without because I don’t have the time for it and I have to work and make progress. 

I find it amazing that people who are novices unlike me who has over 25 years of experience with computers and even building them myself with water cooling and special hardware and other hardware, worked for Apple Headoffice, Baan Info Systems Headoffice in the Netherlands and IBM programming Cobol 74 and 85 that I can’t get this thing working satisfactorily. How much patience do I have to have ? I mean come on.