Connecting the live hub to my laptop

I’m sure this question has been asked and answered numerous times, but I can’t seem to find it anywhere.  I just bought this as a gift, and I want to copy all of my videos from an external hard drive to the live hub.  The auto-sync copies everything, including family pictures and mp3’s, which I don’t want to copy.

So,  does this have the capability of being plugged into my laptop, and have files drag and drop from the laptop’s hard drive?  If I plug it into the laptop, will the sync capability immediately try to copy everything over?

If no drag and drop, and the sync isn’t what I want, how can I get only the files I want on to the live hub?

Thanks

Once you have it on your network it can be accessed like any other HDU for copies, etc.  If you are moving a lot of data it will be wise to use wired CAT5 or CAT6 to get the best speed.  Don’t try major data moves across wireless, it will take forever.

Thanks, but that’s not quite what I need to know.  There is no network, no wireless.  I want this to be directly plugged into my laptop.  Can it be done so I can drag and drop the files I want?

No.

You will need to drag and drop onto hard drive and connect and copy across to Hub internal drive.

If you had a Network, you could drag and drop that way from laptop, but there is no direct connection via USB. Just imagine the Hub as a computer as you cant connect two computers via USB.

Thanks for your help.

mmike wrote:

Thanks, but that’s not quite what I need to know.  There is no network, no wireless.  I want this to be directly plugged into my laptop.  Can it be done so I can drag and drop the files I want?

Yes. Before removing it from the TV go to the setup menu in your Hub. Network settings> network setup. Make the selection for Automatic. Backout of the setup menu to Home. Then power the Hub off. Take it to your laptop turn off you wireless card (most have a switch on front or side). Connect a cat5 cable to the hub the other end to the laptop. Turn on the Hub and wait a few minutes for windowz to find it. Open Network on the laptop. Listed under Computers you should see WDTVLIVEHUB. Thats the hub and you can treat it like any other drive and drag/drop to your heart’s content.

I have done this with my Hub since the first day of owning it. Now that my warranty is up…I open it pull the drive and hook it to USB adapter to make massive copies to it.

Hope it works out for you. It is the fastest way to copy to it short of pulling the drive out.

Not quite sure why you make the automatic network selection on the hub or turn off your computer WiFi. I think you will find that on power up the player automatically detects the wired network and having WiFi on makes no difference to a computer ethernet connection.

richUK wrote:
Not quite sure why you make the automatic network selection on the hub or turn off your computer WiFi. I think you will find that on power up the player automatically detects the wired network and having WiFi on makes no difference to a computer ethernet connection.

I have had an experience where when BOTH were active, niether would connect to anything. Turning off the wifi solved the problem.

I don’t explain these things, I just tell ya what worked for ME. This is how *I* do it because this is how I got it to work on my junk :slight_smile:

There you go, you have explained it.