Connecting SSD on USB2 host port

I’m looking to connect a Samsung T5 SSD to make a second copy of my photos on the My Passport Wireless Pro. I’m concerned about powering the SSD via the USB2 host port, and wondering whether anyone else has done this before?

More specifically, does anyone know the rated power output of the USB 2.0 host port?

SSD’s require less power to operate compared to traditional HDD’s … so i don’t see any reason for concern when connecting to a USB2.0 port.

Have used my SSD’s on several devices with USB2.0 without any issues.

More specifically, does anyone know the rated power output of the USB 2.0 host port?

A standard USB 2.0 port can supply 500 mA at 5 volts.

Here’s a pic of my 2TB WD Elements Portable + RPi3 (USB2.0) + USB Voltage Tester

Thanks for the response.

Appreciate according to the standard, a USB 2.0 port should provide 500 mA. I’ve put a support email into WD directly to confirm the My Passport Wireless Pro rating for its USB 2.0 host port. No response to date - very lack lustre (2 days).

In comparison, my question to Samsung on the power requirements of its T5 SSD was answered within 12 hours. T5 SSD is specified as requiring 800mA, so looks like I’d need a USB 3 port. While it was primarily intended for USB 3 connectivity, it does seem to indicate it’s backwards compatible with USB 2.0.

Perhaps there’s just a performance hit, but I’d prefer to know it was going to work at least before spending the dollars.