Connecting problem

Do you know which version of single drive My Cloud you have? First generation will use firmware v3.x/v4.x and have a P/N number (on the bottom of the unit) that ends in “-00”. If you have a second generation single drive My Cloud it uses firmware v2.x and have a P/N number that ends in “-10”.

For a first gen My Cloud a solid red LED on the front potentially indicates one of the following issues:

• Disk thermal warning threshold exceeded (under or over temp)
  • Ethernet cable not connected
  • Disk SMART failure
  • Data volume does not exist
  • System volume does not exist
  • System thermal shutdown (75 C)

For a second gen My Cloud, a blinking red LED on the front potentially indicates one of the following issues:

• Disk thermal warning threshold exceeded (under or over temp)
  • Ethernet cable not connected
  • Disk SMART failure
  • Data volume does not exist
  • System volume does not exist
  • System thermal shutdown (75 C)

Other suggestions. Replace the Ethernet cable (if you haven’t done so already) between the router and the My Cloud. Try connecting the My Cloud to a different network port on the My Cloud. Try connecting the My Cloud directly to a computer’s network port.

If the hard drive within the My Cloud unit is bad or has a firmware fault then things become more complicated. One could contact WD Support directly and see what options they can suggest. Or one could attempt to remove the hard drive from the My Cloud enclosure (which will violate the device’s warranty) and connect the drive to a computer and see if the computer can read/access the drive. Note that the My Cloud drive is formatted in a Linux format so one needs typically needs to either use Linux or Linux drivers to access the drive contents. There are further discussions in this subforum on how to access the drive from a computer and if the drive isn’t defective how to restore the My Cloud firmware (typically called “unbricking”) on the drive.