Connecting Headphones

Hi, Can i connect  headphonesto the wd tv live?

If yes can the volume be controlled using the remote?

Can the headphones be used along with hdmi at the sametime?

No, not without an amplifier.

The audio output of the WDTV is “Line Level.”

Still Can the Volume be controlled using the remote,if i connect  headphones?

No, no volume on the remote.

But presumably your amp will have a remote with a volume control.

Personally, I use a Harmony ONE programmable remote control - it’s the canine’s nads!

Steve W

Hi, i’m newbie here, but i got (2) WD HD Live since one or two years, i don’t remember right now…

I need to plug headphones (wireless one) but without lossing the HDMI sound, sorry my English… in other words, i need get the sound of WD HD Live in the headphone and in the TV (plasma from LG), what sould i buy? just and amplifier? a home cinema? i need some special i/o in the amplifier? any product who can you link here and some price range?

thanks for your time, i hope any of you could resolve my doubts…

Don’t you have a headphone jack on your TV? You don’t need to buy a separate amp or whatever. Just plug your wireless transmitter into your TV’s headphone jack.

Hope this helps.

nop, my TV does’nt have headphone jack… i bought an euroconector to RCA, so i can plug the headphones and listen the TV (by headphones and by the TV speakers, at the same time). The problem, i got the WD HD Live via HDMI to the TV, and doesn’t works in the headphones… and when i unplug the headphones from the TV and connect to the jack in WD HD Live doesn’t works (maybe the WD HD Live was malfunctioning, but i buy another one WD HD Live and get the same results).

OK first the WD Live box you have does NOT have a headphone jack. The 1/4in jack on the back of the unit is a A/V output jack so if the TV doesn’t have HDMI input (like mine) , you can plug the unit into the yellow RCA video and red and white audio inputs on the TV. The unit comes with this A/V cable.

The only way I can think of is to find a cheap little amp with a headphone jack and a remote. This might be hard to find without it also coming with speakers. You just need to be able to run your audio out jacks from your TV into an amp that can power your headphones. Make sure whatever you buy has a headphone jack. I bought a small AV system that didn’t have a headphone jack! I didn’t even think to look for one when I bought it, I mean how could an amp not have a headphone jack!

Good Luck!

If you have wireless headphones there is a possibility that the audio output socket on the WD player may be able to be used. However the wiring of the socket is not standard so you may have to use an adaptor on your WD supplied AV lead.

Hello All,

I’ve logged on only to tell you that the replies to the question have been completely WRONG.

Whoever has replied to this question about attaching HEADPHONES to the 

Western Digital TV Live HD Media Player (WDBHG70000NBK-HESN) does not know what they are talking about.  You guys know NOTHING.  The internet is full of bad info.  Don’t run out and spend anything on mixers, unless you’re very concerned about audio output level.

First:   The output signal is LINE LEVEL, which is what HEADPHONES function on.  (the other level is Microphone Level)

Second:  You CAN USE HEADPHONES with your Media player, WD does not make it terribly easy, but I will tell you how.

Three:  You will need to buy from $10 to $25 of extra cords or adapter plugs to make this work. 

Still listening?

Lesson 1:  composite vs component.  The WD has both.

Look them up on line and learn what they do:   http://www.calvinshub.com/2009/09/composite-or-component-cable-which-is-better/

Lesson 2:  Chose composite which gives you a mini-phone at one end and white, red and yellow RCA at the other.

Plug the mini phone of the composite cord into your composite-out plug on the WD player.

Lesson 3: NOW you’ve got to get two of those three RCA cables, which carry the stereo sound signal, and somehow get them from being Male RCA (which you can’t plug your mini-stereo male plug into) into Female Mini- phone.  YOU WILL NEED VARIOUS COUPLERS TO DO THIS.  Go to your local stereo experts (NOT big box store - they know nothing and have no electronics - and know nothing) In Canada you can go to The Source, or any smaller electric store and get them to help you put it together.    

I used a couplesr which changed all RCA males to RCA Females,  retaining stereo, then used a stereo Y-cable to go from a RCA stereo to a single MINI STEREO FEMALE.

Lesson 4:  Plug the stereo mini jack of your headphones into the MINI STEREO FEMALE and ENJOY THE AUDIO.

BEST to all, and to all a good night.

Someone who knows.

Hello All,

I’ve logged on only to tell you that the replies to the question have been completely WRONG.

Western Digital TV Live HD Media Player (WDBHG70000NBK-HESN) does not know what they are talking about.  You guys know NOTHING.  The internet is full of bad info.  Don’t run out and spend anything on mixers, unless you’re very concerned about audio output level.

First:   The output signal is LINE LEVEL, which is what HEADPHONES function on.  (the other level is Microphone Level)

Second:  You CAN USE HEADPHONES with your Media player, WD does not make it terribly easy, but I will tell you how.

Three:  You will need to buy from $10 to $25 of extra cords or adapter plugs to make this work. 

Still listening?

Lesson 1:  composite vs component.  The WD has both.

Look them up on line and learn what they do:   http://www.calvinshub.com/2009/09/composite-or-component-cable-which-is-better/

Lesson 2:  Chose composite which gives you a mini-phone at one end and white, red and yellow RCA at the other.

Plug the mini phone of the composite cord into your composite-out plug on the WD player.

Lesson 3: NOW you’ve got to get two of those three RCA cables, which carry the stereo sound signal, and somehow get them from being Male RCA (which you can’t plug your mini-stereo male plug into) into Female Mini- phone.  YOU WILL NEED VARIOUS COUPLERS TO DO THIS.  Go to your local stereo experts (NOT big box store - they know nothing and have no electronics ) In Canada you can go to The Source, or any smaller electric store and get them to help you put it together.    

I used a coupler which changed all RCA males to RCA Females,  retaining stereo, then used a stereo Y-cable to go from a RCA stereo to a single MINI STEREO FEMALE.

Lesson 4:  Plug the stereo mini jack of your headphones into the MINI STEREO FEMALE and ENJOY THE AUDIO.

BEST to all, and to all a good night.

Someone who knows.

Videoexpert wrote:

Hello All,

Someone who knows.

You posted that twice and still gave the wrong information. Line level is not what headphones function on. You may be a video expert but you certainly are not an audio expert… It is possible that it will work but your post still remains wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_level#Line_out

I’m personally routing the AV out L&R (white & red RCA’s on the original cables which comes with composite Yellow RCA as well) to a small bed room mixer Behringer Eurorack UB802 and then into active speakers (Adam A3X). Though I’m mainly doing music which is why I’ve got that setup but I’ve been afraid of not being able to route the audio signal out of the WDTV Live which is not the case.

You could also get your headphones connected at a small similar mixer which sports headphones out.
You’ll find mixers like these for super cheap nowadays…

Hope that helps.

Cheers.

m.

Many thanks to Videoexpert for the helpful lesson.  I’d pretty much had the same issue going on, following a new tv acquisition - the new hdtv doesn’t have RCA jacks (can you believe it?) so I was thinking about tapping off the headset from the cable box for TV and the WDTV  media player for movies/media.  Thanks and happy holidays all.

Dennis

Videoexpert wrote:

Someone who knows.

Or not, LOL!