Connecting directly to a PC

Hi there

I’ve just connected my WD Live Plus to my Pc via Ethernet and I see it in my network.

I’ve just bought it and I would like to do all the upgrade (firmware or software) before connect it  to my TV because the distance between internet hub and the family room is too much.

But beside of to see it in My Network, I’ve not idea about how going on :mansurprised:

There is no interface or software to be installed and if I enter in WDTVLIVE (it’s what I see in my network) it’s a blank “folder”…

I think I’m on the wrong way :wink:

Please can someone help me?

Thanks in advance

Lio

Hi

All the information you need about the WD TV Live Plus is just one click away lol !

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705043.pdf

This is the user manual I hope you can find your answers there

Thanks for the quick reply, I have on my monitor the user manual opened.

Maybe I’m a bit stupid, but I cannot find anything about a direct connection for the WD Live to the PC via Ethernet.

It’s like is missing something, but I cannot understand what :mansad:

Hello BigBear,

In your first post you mention that you don’t have a network connection near your TV, so I’m wondering how you plan on watching stuff using your new WD Live?

As far as updating the firmware, use a USB drive.  See instructions here:

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/updates/?family=wdfwdtv_liveplus

Hi

The WD TV Live plus goes on the router plug the Ethernet cable there and then use the cd that came on the drive to recognize your device on the network and be able to start streaming media files

thanks for the reply :slight_smile:

I have more than one WD My Book external drive so I want to use it to see on the tv what I’ve stored there.

In this moment my only “wish” was to upgrade all directly with the ethernet cable, but I begin to think that it’s not possible.

I cannot understand where the “software interface”  that I see on the TV (I’ve just installed one of this WD TV LIVE for my daughter in campus) where I can enter  through Home in Network setup or put a password and so on., is stored?

My english is too poor to let my explanation a little bit clear … sorry about that .

Streaming files to what???

This will not likely help him if he does not have a TV near his router and/or computer. That’s why I asked him how he plans to use it near the TV.  I want to know more about his setup and equipment.  I’m going slow with him because it’s obvious he does not know much about networking.

Also - there is no need to use the CD that came with the unit.  He just needs to know how to hook it up given his current equipment.

Thanks but… there is NO CD in my package. I’'ve just open and no cd in.

:neutral_face::cry:

[quote]In this moment my only “wish” was to upgrade all[/quote]

As I said, you do not need the CD.

Just follow the instructions using the link I provided above and a USB drive.

I’m happy to know you have the correct equipment (external HD) to view your media files.

My Bad Sorry… disregard what I said before

OK, it’s my fault … I’m able to setup by myself a pc  but when I’ve to connect something to the television I’m really bad :frowning:

Maybe I have somewhere a  long ethernet cable to connect the WD Live to my hub, but I don’t think to need to have it connect always. I can use a Wireless USB Adapter  too, but only if I need to upgrade something.

I don’t think to be able to see streaming video via wireless, maybe some pics or short YouTube video.

So my first goal with WD LIVE is to watch old movie I have saved on my pc and all the family movie and so on.

But for sure I have to try a wireless setup if this is the only way to have the interface visible. Perhaps I need to have this unit connected to a TV to have the  “Home screen”

Thanks \

Lio

Use a USB drive to update the firmware as explaine in my earlier posts…

As for your movies and pictures on your PC - just copy them from your PC to your external WD Mybook, and then carry it to your TV room and plug it into your WD Live Plus.

Keep your WD Live Plus plugged into your TV - no need to move that around with what you have.

BigBearLio wrote:

Hi there

I’ve just connected my WD Live Plus to my Pc via Ethernet and I see it in my network.

I’ve just bought it and I would like to do all the upgrade (firmware or software) before connect it  to my TV because the distance between internet hub and the family room is too much.

But beside of to see it in My Network, I’ve not idea about how going on :mansurprised:

There is no interface or software to be installed and if I enter in WDTVLIVE (it’s what I see in my network) it’s a blank “folder”…

I think I’m on the wrong way :wink:

Please can someone help me?

Thanks in advance

Lio

The WD TV Live Plus will not work connected to your PC.  It must be connected directly to your TV in order to access the user interface. 

You can use the WD TV Live Plus with or without it connected to a network.  However, you will not be able to access any other computers directly, or any internet programming, unless it’s connected to a network and to the internet.   Start on page 15 of the manual, that ricardodegracia posted for you, to begin the setup.

To update you can either do it automatically or manually.  Look at our Knowledge Base article below for how to do either.

Answer ID 5343: How to update the firmware on a WD TV Live HD Media Player.

1 Like