Connecting a router to WDTV

Hi all.

I have internet connected, using a Tenda W300D ADSL2+ router connected to my computer.

I have a WD TV Streaming Live hub across the room to watch movies etc on my TV. To this I have connected a TP Link TD-W8901G router, to enable wireless connection with my Tenda.

(I know the WD TV Streaming Live hub does have wireless capability, but I have found it to be poor. Before I connected the internet and bought the Tenda router, I had the TP Link router connected to the WDTV Hub in the same way, to boost connection wirelessly to my computers onboard wireless card. It worked.)

The WDTV Hub does not recognise the new setup, telling me I have an incorrect DNS server address. I have been reading on networking forums about adding a second router into a network, coming across info about changing the bridge(?) setting in the second router, amongst many other things. Its starting to swamp me a bit, thought I should run setup past u guys first, maybe I’m doing something fundamentally wrong?

EDIT:

I have just read the following ( http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming/add-a-router-or-switch-routers-needed/m-p/657123#M27064), is it the “switch” aspect I have to investigate?

In the TP-Link make sure you have turned DHCP to OFF, that way only the Tendata will hand out DHCP addfresses to the TP-Link and other devices.

If you want to make sure the network is structured set the TP-Link and WDTV Live to have Static IP addresses, and other devices like Laptops, Tablets and Desktops are allocated a revolving IP address as they attach to the network.

Ok thanks for reply. I tried that and still not working.

How do i change the WDTV Live to have a Static IP address?

I have done this with the TP LInk, and turned off DHCP. Now, on the SMP, in Network Setup the IP Address reads “169.254.52.0175”, which i have never seen before. I choose Wired, then Automatic, and it errors with “Unable to obtain an IP Address. The WD TV has limited or no connectivity.”

Nathan323 wrote:

I have done this with the TP LInk, and turned off DHCP. Now, on the SMP, in Network Setup the IP Address reads “169.254.52.0175”, which i have never seen before. I choose Wired, then Automatic

If you turn off the DHCP function on your router (and no other DHCP server is available) you MUST set all your device with static IP addresses.

169.254.x.x is an “APIPA” address…  which will work OK as long as EVERYTHING in your network is APIPA compatible … but you likely will not have internet access if you do that.

Looks like the WDTV Live has obtained an IP address from the TP-Link, so you need to reset it to pick up a new IP address from the Tendata. As the WDTV Live already is set to get an automatic IP address no need to change just needs a reset.

Use the Remote to do a complete power off - press the Power switch and hold down, count to 6/7, you will see the light go out. Once it’s out release the Power switch, count to 5 then press the Power switch - it will do 2 re-boots and you will get a screen that says Connect Network then the Home screen will display. At this point it should have been allocated an IP address from the Tendata, just check the Network settings like you did last time

Ok thanks everyone, some good info there. I’ll try again in about 17 hours, after pesky sleep & work.